Why become a member? ×

He's playing bass on my 45 of Rosie by Alexis Korner.

Alexis on the jazz cigarettes again!!

I never saw Binky but friends said he was a great player. Used to put Vaseline on his left hand to speed up his playing.

I guess murdering his Mum, Dad and brother in law curtailed his musical career some what!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

This is informative on the tragedy.

http://kilburnwesthampstead.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-tragedy-at-olive-road.html

I can recall Andy Fraser saying what a great player and influence Binky was when I interviewed him.

What a tragic story 🙁.

His sister, singer Candy McKenzie, survived the incident and went on to record with (amongst others) Lee Perry

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Man, I listened to 'Rosie' by Alexis Korner (thank you to Chris B for posting)- it was riveting.  Binky was great on that track.  The playing by a core group of musicians from this period (mid 60's) is fantastic- people like Korner, Graham Bond, Binky, Jack, Ginger and John McLaughlin.  The music which to me is a hybrid of jazz and R&B- not really conventional rock, really swung.  I wish that I could've lived in London during those years.

Very early in the 60’s probably 62, a school mate and I managed to sneak in to a club in South Harrow to see some R&B band whose name I can’t recall. We were very much under age but we knew the guy on the door. The advertised band didn’t show and up on stage was Alexis Korners Blues band. There was some initial dissatisfaction amongst the audience but the band soon won everyone over. They were amazing. Korner sat on a chair to one side for most of the evening with a cheroot permanently sticking out of his mouth, and Cyril Davies looked dressed for a day digging up roads but boy could he play the harmonica and sing the blues. His harmonica mic was going into a little red Watkins Westminster amp. I had one of those at the time. Not very good for bass. 
I don’t know who else was in the band that night, but Long John Baldry was the main vocalist. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

South Harrow?   Has to be the church hall off Corbins Lane?

If so it was promoted by someone I knew............

😎

The British Legion up by the police station on the main road. We saw a lot of ultimately famous bands in there over the years. 
South Harrow Market also had the best second hand record stall in North London. I bought a great collection of American label blues and R&B 45’s in there. Wish I still had them. 

On 16/09/2023 at 21:48, taunton-hobbit said:

That was 'W E Sellanby, they had a shop on the main road as well.

I'd forgotten the Legion...........

😎

Yes he moved across the road from the market. Went legit. 🙂
I saw a good number of top bands in the Legion when I were a young lad.