Why become a member? ×

Brian Locking 1960 Precision bass Auction today 9/12/

jay bass

£15,000 to £20,000 GBP or even more.

It's a piece of history and the one and only owner is known, so not a fake or a rebuild or a modified one, hence it will go high, very high as it can be used to certify authenticity of other identical models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bass Direct have a 1960/1 Precision on their web site.

It's in ridiculously good condition and is going for £14000.

Musicians don't buy those kind of basses. Just like art lovers don't buy Van Goghs. It will be bought as an investment and stashed away, in a dark room, securely, for the next 20 years.

I heard Guy Pratt and John Illsley (bassist in Dire Straits) talking about this very subject on Guy's podcast a couple of weeks ago. Both of them have early 60s Fenders that they actually play.

1 hour ago, ped said:

I don’t know that I’d like to own a bass so clearly linked with someone else, someone I never met or knowingly listened to. It wouldn’t feel like mine (investment argument aside of course)

As a lifelong shadows fan, he was a pioneer but he wasnt the original bass player , and he was only with the Shadows 2 years,  Jet Harris was my Shadows icon from the 60s.

I wouldnt pay 10K for a precision anyway, but you couldnt prise mine away from me  for that, cos Ive had it for over 50 years and its been used and abused, ,

but it still part of my life.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2021 at 09:10, gjones said:

Musicians don't buy those kind of basses. Just like art lovers don't buy Van Goghs. It will be bought as an investment and stashed away

If I had money to burn, I would seek out old vintage instruments that are genuinely good but stranded in investment hell, destroy their value by refinishing the body, resoldering the pots, replacing the frets etc and then sell them at a horrific loss to people who would actually play them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1