Why become a member? ×

Good songs to learn with a pick

Saskia

12 hours ago, gjones said:

I've recently joined a rock band and I've had to relearn how to play with a pick.

I've found that anything by Thin Lizzy is pretty easy and allows you to get up to speed with the technique if you're new to it.

Try this one.

Saw Thin Lizzy live in 79.Brid Spa Royal Hall,i was thinking ?what strings did Phil use.

Depends what you're looking for.  I play both fingers and pick depending on the song.  Heres a few suggestions of different styles that a pick would be first choice:

A Bomb in Wardour Street by the Jam.

This Charming Man by the Smiths.

Jesus of Suburbia by Green Day.

Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand.

On 08/12/2021 at 18:47, krispn said:

If you simply wish to become more proficient with the technique then play every sucker you can until it feels natural :)

This.  Anything can be played with a pick - so if you are trying to get used to it use ot for everything.  

8 hours ago, Paul S said:

This.  Anything can be played with a pick - so if you are trying to get used to it use ot for everything.  

So, Toccata and Fugue in D minor? 

I think what the OP was asking was where would be a good place to start! Or at least I think they were as starting the thread with just '?' isn't overly communicative. 

2 hours ago, Boodang said:

So, Toccata and Fugue in D minor? 

I think what the OP was asking was where would be a good place to start! Or at least I think they were as starting the thread with just '?' isn't overly communicative. 

When I first started to play bass I used only a pick so therefore I suggested play absolutely anything.  To get the various pick playing techniques it doesn't have to be all heavy attack.  Plus.... there are currently just shy of 47,000 members of Basschat... the thread might end up being a little unweildy if everyone recommends thier fave pick tracks :D 

26 minutes ago, Paul S said:

When I first started to play bass I used only a pick so therefore I suggested play absolutely anything.  To get the various pick playing techniques it doesn't have to be all heavy attack.  Plus.... there are currently just shy of 47,000 members of Basschat... the thread might end up being a little unweildy if everyone recommends thier fave pick tracks :D 

Well, glad you suggested playing anything otherwise I wouldn't now be trying to learn Toccata & Fugue in D minor with a pick! It's quite the challenge. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm surprised no one (including me) has mentioned The Cure. Superb bass lines, fantastic songs and Simon Gallup always uses a pick.

A Forest and Burn are a great place to start. 

I can't pick up my Thunderbird and not play A Forest

I think A Forest will be my next track to learn, cheers!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Russ said:

Play this for anyone who claims that Westone Thunder basses were rubbish. I'd forgotten how good he actually was.

Someone who was bass sympathetic definitely mixed that one. Great song but love how the bass is so prominent in this version.