Why become a member? ×

Good songs to learn with a pick

Saskia

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2021 at 15:21, NAS Bass said:

Depends what you want to achieve with a pick?

Fast downstrokes only - All Ramones songs!

Palm muted - 60's style a la Carol Kaye and Joe Osborn

Melodic grinding punk - JJ Burnel 

Hard Rock - Lemmy, Motorhead

Tricky timing, across the strings - JPJ on Black Dog. Heartbreaker is a good one as well, get to play chords too!

Lots of variables and millions of other examples. Always a good idea to keep your pick skills up to speed!

I'm new to C.B. I'm a 66 yr old Yank and have played bass forever.I played in all types of bands from Pop to Punk,G.B. and even as a bassist in an Elvis impersonators' band.But I never played with a pick.In the early days I was taught picks were for guitar.I always loved the pick tone however.Well for the last few months I've been trying to learn this skill.It isn't easy for me but I've slowly been making progress.I have watched the tutorials, bought the books and any tips will be appreciated. But it seems to me one just needs to stick to it and do it often.

On 26/12/2021 at 13:02, NigeJ said:

Check out the Stranglers back catalogue 

☝️☝️

What he said. Stranglers have some fantastic bass lines, all great to play with a pick. 

If you're not in to punk, forget their punk association, they're nothing like the Pistols. They're just a brilliant rock band. 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 25/12/2021 at 23:05, Grimalkin said:

For consistency, I love the softer P bass twang Scott Thunes has on this. 

Kind of late to the party to poop it, but Scott didn't get his P bass until '84. This album was '83 when he was still using the active Carvin.

Pooper out...

Feel it Still by Portugal the Man is a nice easy one. 

It might be in here already and I've missed it but Money by Pink Floyd is another easy one.

You can play a lot of things with a pick even if they weren't like that on the original, especially if you palm mute (which I do pretty much always if I play with a pick).

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I presume the story was told by Carol herself 😉

Probably...:D

There are various quotes knocking around about that session, so maybe there is a modicum of truth in there somewhere.

Here is another one:

"If I can remember this right, the story behind this one (from Carol Kaye) is that the drummer on the session was playing too far behind and kind of dopey. The producer asked her to play something really forward and 'up' to pep up the drummer, and that's what she did.
She didn't think they'd keep the take on the track, let alone that it would become a minor hit, as she thought the line was too busy..."

:D