Why become a member? ×

Good songs to learn with a pick

Saskia

1 hour ago, Saskia said:

loooooove this song

If so try other stuff by Chris -- Beyond and Before, Tempus Fugit & Does it really happen are all fun to learn. Also following from what Rich said practice picking while Palm Muting for a Dubby sound. Also Listen to some Bobby Vega, Colin Hodgkinson, Barry Adamson (Magazine) & John Gustafson (early Roxy M)

B

• Like 2

Depends what you want to achieve with a pick?

Fast downstrokes only - All Ramones songs!

Palm muted - 60's style a la Carol Kaye and Joe Osborn

Melodic grinding punk - JJ Burnel 

Hard Rock - Lemmy, Motorhead

Tricky timing, across the strings - JPJ on Black Dog. Heartbreaker is a good one as well, get to play chords too!

Lots of variables and millions of other examples. Always a good idea to keep your pick skills up to speed!

Edited by NAS Bass
addition
  • Like 2

I ended up a fingers only man but i am aware that limited me on some numbers. 20 years ago I always had a pick in my pick guard ready for certain numbers 

Here is one almost impossible with fingers I just about got away with it. If you listen to it closely you will hear how the pick is used to bounce down across one string and then up stroke the next string as the song was recorded.

I have the dots for this if anyone is interested PM me

Edited by deepbass5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, deepbass5 said:

And this of course

Saw this a while back. Trevor Horn has an immense bass tone. He's playing very lightly too.

Any idea what the bass is? Can't read the headstock decal. Looks Sadowsky-ish (but isn't), with EMGs. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, krispn said:

If you simply wish to become more proficient with the technique then play every sucker you can until it feels natural :)

I think this is the best approach. I’m a pick player so irrespective of how the original line was played I do it with a pick. I can get a good variety of sounds just with technique, though in my bands I’m always “me”. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, krispn said:

If you simply wish to become more proficient with the technique then play every sucker you can until it feels natural :)

Yeah, let's get deep into the philosophy of pick playing... or NOOOO, as the title of the thread suggests, let's just have fun and pick our fav pick songs!

I grew up listening to Yes, and Roundabout was the 'must play' lick when I picked up bass.

But as that's already been suggested I'm going to go for Bobby Vega and the 'Gosh' groove which is simply funky and so satisfying to play.

• Like 1