Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried the Kala U-Bass Jouneyman?

Marc S

Just wondering whether anyone on here has tried the newer version of the Kala U-bass -  the Journeyman?

I had a Kala a few years back, and it was a fun little instrument - but I didn't like the very low tension, rubbery strings. I did try a different brand of strings on it, and they were a bit better... but not by that much IMO

Anyhow, I just chanced across a YouTube video of one of these, which I think are a newer design, and seem to come with metal flatwound strings. Just wondering whether the string tension is a bit more like a bass guitar. If anyone on here has one of these, your thoughts would be much appreciated :) 

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 2

Hi @Velarian yes, I saw that one too. Impressive sound indeed.
As I mentioned, I did once own a Kala U-bass. That sounded great too. It was quite DB-like in tone, and sounded huge when plugged in.
However, those rubbery strings really did put me off playing it.

The Journeyman doesn't sound like the Rubber stringed Kala - but I still like the sound. I'm now trying to recall whether my old Kala had a truss-rod?
Just wondering whether the strings on the new Journeyman would be suitable for the older U-basses, or other makes of U-bass.
With decent strings, I'd definitely consider getting a U-bass again to keep at the side of the sofa

• Like 1

An important thing to consider is that some ukulele basses, particularly the cheaper ones like my Countryman, don’t have a truss rod. Strings other that the rubber type can cause a lot of “pull” on the neck making decent action impossible.

Personally, I don’t mind the rubber strings. I’m weird that way. 😜

• Like 1

Yes @Len_derby that's one of the reasons I asked the question (s). 

I can't recall whether my old Kala did have a truss rod... My dodgy memory is telling me it might have had one.

I Wouldn't consider putting higher tension strings on one, if it didn't have a truss. I must say, I like the look of the journeyman anyway - so I might be tempted in future. 

I looked up the Kala flatwound strings, ànd they're rather expensive.

I have a Mahalo with rubber strings which is fun to play - compact and lightweight - however this is spoilt by needing to retune every two micro seconds. Constantly going out of tune (strings take ages to settle) even though it takes forever to tune for that reason.

I'm waiting for somebody to invent rubber strings that don't suffer from the above problem. 

7 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I have a Mahalo with rubber strings which is fun to play - compact and lightweight - however this is spoilt by needing to retune every two micro seconds. Constantly going out of tune (strings take ages to settle) even though it takes forever to tune for that reason.

I'm waiting for somebody to invent rubber strings that don't suffer from the above problem. 

Fretless, and stay away from open strings.

For better results periodically lift the string over the nut to equalise tension each side while bringing up to tune.

I need to check but pretty sure no truss rod in my Kala.

15 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I tried the DB trick of using a heavy pencil to leave graphite in the slots in the nut which makes them slide more easily. Helps a fair bit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vmaxblues said:

I have a journeyman and love it, very playable, did some recordings with it, great tone.

Thanks for your thoughts @vmaxblues re the strings - do you know how the strings on the Journeyman compare to the Rubber strings that usually come on U-basses?
And for that matter, are they markedly "floppier" than standard bass strings? Sorry for the questions - but I'm beginning to think I "need" a Journeyman! lol
There aren't any in shops local to me - so I can't try one out.

I was really surprised with the roundwound strings, because they played well, tension was fine and amazingly didn’t sound tinny on the recordings.  Having owned one of the earlier Kalas, I was pleasantly surprised and now prefer the journeyman.  It is so playable snd so much fun!  Got mine from bass direct. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...