Why become a member? ×

Who's Playing Old, Heavy, Outmoded Gear that No One Wants?

Count Bassie

I’m either a Luddite or a dinosaur, take your pick, but those new fangled class D jobbies don’t do it for me. 
As I’ve posted before, I’m a complete SWR freak and my solution to the weight issue was to join a gym 😂

7D5E20DC-B9C8-4FB3-9F73-BEFEFD3DF956.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Dood said:

But I do want a 7400 and an IBS 400... a Trace V8.. and A Trace V-type Preamp, an Ampeg SVP Pro, two Hartke 4.5XLs, an Ampeg 810, Bergantino HD212's, Barefaced Big Twin 2 (or a pair of BB2's) and ummm... a new back.

Lol. I'm recouperating from surgery and looking side-eye at my pile of somewhat heavy gear. I could sell it all and find a lightweight combo/extension cab, but the last time I put my Tbird through the SWR Bass 350/Goliath-II, the sound was just sweet and authoritative- at the same time. That's in the ballpark of what I find an inspiring sound. 

But, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what I play through, there's always something good there to work with. 

Same with the Peavey. And now I'm looking at a 70s Peavey 1x15 to match it with- loaded with an EV-L driver. I'll have to lose something to justify it though. I should stop... 😅

Edited by Count Bassie
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JPJ said:

I’m either a Luddite or a dinosaur, take your pick, but those new fangled class D jobbies don’t do it for me. 
As I’ve posted before, I’m a complete SWR freak and my solution to the weight issue was to join a gym 😂

7D5E20DC-B9C8-4FB3-9F73-BEFEFD3DF956.jpeg

Dude, is that your only cab?

😁

Three heads for one cab is extreme, but I sold my other cabs a few years ago and have not got round to replacing them yet.

I alternate the heads every few days when rehearsing. To say that I have to be careful with the master volume controls is an understatement. At some point I will get a four ohm 2x12 or 4x10 that I can lift easily. The mesa cab weighs about 135lbs/60+ Kg and is a struggle to load in and out of a car. I'm 35 now so this isn't a rig I fancy lugging around post 40, hell maybe even past 36. The sound is however immense, even on low volume levels. 

The Mesa Walkabout to the left is actually my main gigging and rehearsal rig and has been for about 12 years. Even that would be considered 'heavy' and 'underpowered' in modern terms.

EE52890F-76D1-4345-B051-D807FC8509C3.thumb.jpeg.59ac67963ba2c3b2b53ae68269c4cfba.jpeg

Can I bring it round to the ridiculous concept of 'heft'. Some think that for whatever reason, a class D amp can never sound as good as a Class A/B amp.

Someone did an experiment on Talkbass. He built a Class A and Class D amp. Nobody could tell the difference... 

I think, reading various online references to this topic across a load of forums, that folks often forget that we didn't play big heavy cabs and amps because they were somehow "better" than lightweight gear. We played them because that was all that the amp and cab manufacturing companies actually made!!!!!!

Personally I liked my original heavy old rough and ready Laney 1x15 combo,  I loved my backbreaking old Trace Elliott gear that followed it before my amp got dropped and died (had it not done so I would probably still be playing it). Now I love my MarkBass lightweight gear.

Edited by TrevorR

56 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Can I bring it round to the ridiculous concept of 'heft'. Some think that for whatever reason, a class D amp can never sound as good as a Class A/B amp.

Someone did an experiment on Talkbass. He built a Class A and Class D amp. Nobody could tell the difference... 

My amp tech, who's spent years as a player back in the day and works with some high end studio peeps, reports that class D amps are prone to shut-down if they're hit hard with spikey transients, like heavy slap/pop styles.

He's dealt with a few of those little guys, and that's his assessment.

They can sound great, I'm just happily self-deceived into my own private, dreamy world of lovely lo-fi obstinacy. 😍 

I did play a GK MB500 and that's a very nice amp. Loud as bombs, as one might say. Also had a Trace Elliot Elf, also a fine little piece- different than the older Trace gear.

I really like my SWR red face 350 and my SWR cabs. And the preamp in my Peavey head is a gem.

Edited by Count Bassie

I thought the ‘heft’ debate had concluded that it wasn’t necessarily the amp topology (class A, B, D etc) that caused the lack of perceived ‘heft” but it was the use of switch mode power supplies commonly found in class D micro heads? 

But then again, I know nothing of amplifier design engineering so I may have picked that up wrong? 

1 minute ago, JPJ said:

I thought the ‘heft’ debate had concluded that it wasn’t necessarily the amp topology (class A, B, D etc) that caused the lack of perceived ‘heft” but it was the use of switch mode power supplies commonly found in class D micro heads? 

But then again, I know nothing of amplifier design engineering so I may have picked that up wrong? 

No, that debate was ended when it was concluded that trouser flapping wasn't as prevalent nowadays due to lack of flares compared to the 70's rather than due to any amp technology at all..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

No, that debate was ended when it was concluded that trouser flapping wasn't as prevalent nowadays due to lack of flares compared to the 70's rather than due to any amp technology at all..

The early 2000s Nu-metal period was full of really baggy jeans and I confirm that trouser-flapping made a brief comeback during this period before the Strokes/Hives type indie-rock replaced it in popularity and brought non-flappable skinny jeans back to the fore. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, thodrik said:

The early 2000s Nu-metal period was full of really baggy jeans and I confirm that trouser-flapping made a brief comeback during this period before the Strokes/Hives type indie-rock replaced it in popularity and brought non-flappable skinny jeans back to the fore. 

I have always been a pant-flapper, sure to the fact that everything made of fabric and thread is baggy on me. So I take the liberality of making sure to take advantage of that otherwise someone awkward personal characteristic.

Some things are a given.

2 hours ago, Count Bassie said:

My amp tech, who's spent years as a player back in the day and works with some high end studio peeps, reports that class D amps are prone to shut-down if they're hit hard with spikey transients, {snip}

I know of one model that came out a many years ago where the fans on a batch had been wired with the wrong polarity, thus they didn't spin and were prone to shutting down due to overheating - and cheaper no-name models where insufficient heat sinking (and heatsink compound) were found to be used (a bit like the internals of my MacBook Pro as it happens - a known issue), but generally speaking, everything that has been built more recently, especially with the ICE modules have pretty resilient. I've owned many and reviewed even more and haven't suffered a shut down yet. Maybe user error can be factored in if kit is being taken to a service agent? 

On 07/12/2021 at 16:47, Lozz196 said:

I’m not, but only due to the acceptance that my back won’t permit it anymore. My rig in my last band was Ashdown ABM600 with ABM 410 & 210 cabs but it got too much, so now have two ABM PRO NEO 210s instead. I’m there in spirit!

@Lozz196 .. Do you find the ABM210H Pro Neo cabs and ABM600 a good match ?

I’m still wondering if larger ported cabs ( naturally heavier ) would sound fuller with more punch ? 

I keep re- visiting this and come close to buying different cabs weekly !!

1 hour ago, Dood said:

I know of one model that came out a many years ago where the fans on a batch had been wired with the wrong polarity, thus they didn't spin and were prone to shutting down due to overheating - and cheaper no-name models where insufficient heat sinking (and heatsink compound) were found to be used (a bit like the internals of my MacBook Pro as it happens - a known issue), but generally speaking, everything that has been built more recently, especially with the ICE modules have pretty resilient. I've owned many and reviewed even more and haven't suffered a shut down yet. Maybe user error can be factored in if kit is being taken to a service agent? 

Maybe Markbass was the one having trouble. Ampeg had a running issue also.

I'm not surprised that maybe this stuff has gotten tweaked over time. User error? Lol, I dunno, as a sandwich press maybe? 🤪 

Don’t know how I ended up with this lot but they sound monster!! 
7B0E2B33-B0A2-4562-891C-353DFDED11DA.thumb.jpeg.a7f6603ae05f10bcc9c6bb49c57bb743.jpeg2F5EC34C-59F5-4C85-B624-CE7720882B69.thumb.jpeg.ec5c2bdd023d2061e8ae6e7f86267b86.jpeg9AE2686A-7757-4F4B-BE19-A014A987B2B6.thumb.jpeg.12194d8f0fa479cd6f32a2701c091bd6.jpeg

The Mesa PH410’s and the Vanderkley will be going on the market soon as will be the Ampeg SVT II pros I’m going power amp and using the Ampeg pre amps. I’m also keeping the Mesa Eight 88 

Old and heavy? Well, like the original poster I'm keen on SWR's 18" monster (stop sniggering), but in my case it's a matching pair each with a Simms Watts valve head. The cabs used to belong to some bloke who played in an outfit called Simple Minds.

IMG_20170517_210326.jpg

Edited by chriswareham
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Chrisan2 said:

To me bassadder27 the abm cabs do punch a bit better than the neos, but hardly noticeable in a live setting. What is a big noticeable difference between them is the weight. 

That’s good to hear, I’m happy to stick with them if the difference isn’t much to really notice live.

The weight as you say is a huge advantage 

5 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

@Lozz196 .. Do you find the ABM210H Pro Neo cabs and ABM600 a good match ?

I’m still wondering if larger ported cabs ( naturally heavier ) would sound fuller with more punch ? 

I keep re- visiting this and come close to buying different cabs weekly !!

Sadly I’m yet to use mine with either of my bands as the rehearsal rooms I use have full set ups. At home volumes they sound exactly the same as my old ABM410 EVO-IV cab did with the ABM600 tho. That said I had Ashdown seal the port in that cab for me, made the sound tighter and punchier, so I’d say the regular ported ABM cabs will more than likely have a looser low end.