Why become a member? ×

Who's Playing Old, Heavy, Outmoded Gear that No One Wants?

Count Bassie

1 hour ago, chriswareham said:

And this is the backup rig. Two of Acoustic Control Corporation's finest into an Ampeg fridge. The ACC 140 is simply the loudest amp I've ever heard, it must put out more than it's rated to.

IMG_20160615_185443.jpg

The 140 is cool because you can chain the gains and they function as a single channel. Set one channel for bite/snarl and give the other some deep belly. Adjust respective volumes as needed, and you've got a beautiful thing going on.

I always thought the 370 was louder, and it does a nice, head battering thing when pushed.

Nice rig either way you go 

I love the way old gear sounds -- the combination of my old Trace GP12SMX head and SWR Triad cab was the best sound I have ever had. Just thinking about it gives me goosebumps. But I'm simply too old and knackered to go lugging huge amps and 100lb cabs around any more. My back just won't take it.

I saw an ABM 500 III on ebay and snapped it up for the ridiculous price of £134.

I used to have one, over 10 years ago, but traded it in for one of those new fangled digital fellas.

I loved the sound but not the weight.

I no longer live on the 3rd floor of an inner city block of flats with no parking, so the weight is no longer an issue.

It sounds great in the practice room but haven't managed to gig with it yet.

OK so it's a brand new amp,but after years using various class D heads I've swapped back to A/B buying an Ashdown ABM 600 Evo IV & am loving it.

It sounds absolutely epic though my Markbass 2X12,ideally I would like a nice heavy old 4X10 but alas my arthritis wouldn't like it.

(I even sold the wireless to be a proper old fart)

20211106_120245.jpg

Edited by artisan
  • Like 3

My ABM600 was sat on my two ABM210 Pro Neo cabs Tuesday at rehearsals and it was very good 

However ( might be due to sealed cabs ) ??? I made a playing change …
I’ve reverted to finger playing instead of pick as I had lost the bottom end in the band. 
Playing mostly heavy to light rock I need the fullness and punch

But the height of the stacked cabs results in hearing what’s going on well 

Edited by BassAdder27

I've both an Ashdown CTM100 and Ashdown Spyder 550 and I've tried to sell them off on a number of occasions, nothing wrong with them or anything, I just wanted smaller gear. Nobody really wants them, and you know, I don't really care if I never manage to sell either. They're great amps.  

31 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I've both an Ashdown CTM100 and Ashdown Spyder 550 and I've tried to sell them off on a number of occasions, nothing wrong with them or anything, I just wanted smaller gear. Nobody really wants them, and you know, I don't really care if I never manage to sell either. They're great amps.  

CTM100 how much out of interest ?? !!!

3 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

CTM100 how much out of interest ?? !!!

I had it for sale for €600, that's about £510. Which I thought was fair. Its been serviced and everything (by Guy at Ashdown)  

Edited by Quilly
Typo

On 07/12/2021 at 15:51, Jus Lukin said:

I'm not generally using it, and the nerd in me has hooked up a spectrum analyser to get a better grasp of how the EQ works before it becomes a regular fixture, but playing a lot of jump-blues, swing, jazz, and funk, I'm looking to use my Ashdown CTM-30 with a sealed 1x15 with the horn removed more often.

My bass is often old-sounding enough that direct injection works well but, splitting hairs, it can be a touch too clean (even with my short scale Epis with flats). That hint of passive tone stack and valve saturation might just be the sprinkle of icing sugar which finishes the cake.

I've posted it before, but here is the heavy, non-linear, beautiful lump!

211655549_571264617197841_5447645722172909010_n.thumb.jpg.436a97a0947157ddc37c625cbec0382a.jpg

I’ve the little bastard , I love those amps 

On 07/12/2021 at 16:13, Bridgehouse said:

If this wasn’t against the docs instructions right now I’d use this all the time…

57004058-BA79-4597-9B41-CFA802439E93.jpeg

When I was in a thrash band at uni, we did a gig with a death metal band where the bassist had one of those and let me use it.

it was amazing, tone was like being hit in the face with a brick

• Like 2