Why become a member? ×

Ebow on a Bass

Linus27

15 hours ago, Sonic_Groove said:

You can actually use them on a regular Acoustic Guitar with regular strings. But it's different and You need to pre-excite the string (bending, vibrato, a slide or whatever) & like bigredx said for Bass it's not as essay or fluid as on an Electric guitar

That's interesting. However my Ebow won't even switch on until it is in the presence of a magnetic field (like a pickup), so that won't work for everyone. Also IME having to pre-excite the string, removes a lot of the expressiveness from using an Ebow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, owen said:

I have a sustainer pickup fitted to my Tele (guitar). It is LOADS of fun. If they did one big enough for bass I would have one of those as well.

Fernandes do a travel bass with a built-in amp and speaker called the Pie-Zo (Nomad in the US), which at full volume and with a new battery in the amp is powerful enough to drive the strings.

Personally for the bass I'd be looking at getting a Gizmotron 

55 minutes ago, owen said:

https://www.sustainiac.com/st-pro.htm says they can accomodate Bass guitars, But the page looks like it has been untouched since 199HTML so I have no idea if it is a thing or not.

There was a Fernandes Sustainer bass built in 1995, the ASB-100.

https://reverb.com/item/29209055

I looked at an eBow to deal with bowed DB parts in tunes I was playing, but because of the drawbacks highlighted in this thread and elsewhere I went a slightly different way. 

I use an EHX Freeze pedal which, when coupled with a 'violining' technique on the volume (either knob or volume pedal) gives a reasonably convincing facsimile of a bowed, sustained note.  

If you time the Freeze right you get a lovely full sustained note. Depending on how you want to play it you can set it momentary (i.e. it dies when you release) or latching (it holds until you switch it off). 

Might be worth a look?