Why become a member? ×

610 Cabs

Guest BassAdder27

Is there really a need for these heavyweight tall cabs these days ?

You see them up for sale at bargain prices yet they don’t sell 

Have they really had their day ? 

Example a local chap is selling an Ashdown ABM610 cab for £150 !! 

Im so tempted 

I loved my Genz Benz 6x10, massive power and sounded excellent but god knows how I lifted it into the back of my car all those years ago. No way could I do it now! And there the problem lies. We're all getting older and there's so many quality, smaller and lighter cabs out there that do the job so it becomes a no brainer. 

I like 610s. The height makes hearing yourself a lot easier, and irrespective of the science I just happen to like the sound of a load of 10s all stacked together. My Ashdown ABM 410 & 210 together was a good compromise for someone living in a first floor flat, as the weight of a 610 was too much to get up/down the stairs. Whilst these cabs might be unfashionable I prefer the sound, much the same as a full Marshall stack to me sounds better than a 1x12 combo at the same volume. 

• Like 1

I'd love a Barefaced Six10 but I'd have trouble getting it in the car with my other gear.

In my 20s I had a pair of Marshall VBC412 cabs. They sounded amazing but they were about 110lb each iirc. Like all big Marshalls they had casters, but it was still a nightmare getting them in and out of the car and up steps.

they are still my favourite cab of all time but I'll never be able to lift them again!

39 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

much the same as a full Marshall stack to me sounds better than a 1x12 combo at the same volume. 

I had a Sound City 100W head with two 4x12s in my yoof. The sound was glorius. There was a depth too that you cannot get from a diddiy combo. I particularly hate the sound of a Fender Combo with a Telecaster on te bridge pickup.

I have a Mesa 6x10.

The single best bass cabinet I have ever heard.

Heavy as hell. 

Complete overkill for pretty much every gig. They were about £1800 new but I got one for about £400 in near mint condition because it is heavy as hell and complete overkill for pretty much every gig.

I won’t sell it, but yeah I really don’t need it. Very much a cab of a bygone era.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

I had a Sound City 100W head with two 4x12s in my yoof. The sound was glorius. There was a depth too that you cannot get from a diddiy combo. I particularly hate the sound of a Fender Combo with a Telecaster on te bridge pickup.

Yep, guitar brought to you this evening from Icepick City.

I've got a Barefaced 610. When paired with an ABM 600 you'll know you'll have a need for it.  It's pretty light and much more manageable than the Ampeg 610 I had once upon a time. I can easily lift it in to the back of my car. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Muppet said:

I've got a Barefaced 610. When paired with an ABM 600 you'll know you'll have a need for it.  It's pretty light and much more manageable than the Ampeg 610 I had once upon a time. I can easily lift it in to the back of my car. 

I would have liked a BF610 but some of the narrow doors and spaces I have to fit through mean that the tilt back wheels are not facing the right direction!

I want Alex to make a vertical 3x10! :D 

56 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I would have liked a BF610 but some of the narrow doors and spaces I have to fit through mean that the tilt back wheels are not facing the right direction!

To be useable you need 16 ohm drivers which will off 5.33r ohms to the amplifier. Actually sounds a good idea.

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I have a 210 for that and am looking at another 210 but a 310 sounds fun.  Then you could have two side by side....

• Like 1

I love stacked configurations of 10’s too. My valve Ampeg SVT rig is still my favourite rig ever, followed closely by an Ampeg 6x10. I’ve also had a Fender 6x10 which was great, and my SWR 8x8 was actually the same size as a 6x10 and sounded wonderful. Quieter stages have meant I don’t need so much speaker real estate, so currently using a GK Neo410 along with my BF Compact for smaller gigs. ( The Compact is the only cab I’ve owned in maybe 30 years that doesn’t have 10 inch speakers. ) Would love a BF410 if funds allowed. 

4 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I've been thinking about this sort of set up.

Are you running the Two10 at 12ohm or 4ohm?

With the 8ohm One10 that is either 4.8ohm or 2.7ohm if my maths are right.

Yup spot on maths :)

I run the Glock in 2.67 ohm mode so the Two10 is 4 ohms

• Like 1

Owned the SWR Goliath Snr 6x10 that was an awesome single cab solution but way too big and heavy for your average pub gig or even worse, the upstairs/downstairs gig. 
That said, I remember Warwickhunt’s neo equipped Tech Sound Systems 610 that was an easy one hand lift in/out the car and I’d really like to try the Barefaced version with its crossover and three full range and three woofer arrangement.