Why become a member? ×

Guitar with adjustable pick ups.

TheGreek

16 hours ago, itu said:

Alembic in the early 70's, Westone Rail bass, a German Viper bass... g-word players are pretty much slower with their "novelties".

Found it: Spalt vViper is that German instrument.

IIRC Spalt is actually American. He might be based in Europe at the moment though.

Edited by BigRedX

16 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I do think it's sad when builders make no effort to squeeze the control knobs really, really tightly together.

This guy clearly 'gets it', and has successfully rendered the controls utterly useless.

Bravo!

We already have a bespoke builder for the large of hand. This person is catering for the tiny of finger.  

Jon Shuker and I had talked years ago about putting a pickup underneath an extended ramp, but leaving a cutaway so the pickups(s) could be moved back and forth in the ramp, thus, no unsightly holes in the top of the body. (Yes, admittedly there are those who think ramps are ugly too and, I tend to agree when they're done badly!)

Edited by Dood
  • Like 1

Or... what about a stationary pickup mounted on a stand in front of the player and you just stand in front of it and play, keeping the bass positioned wherever you want the strings to be picked up. You could have an array of all kinds of pickups, P, J, MM, MFD, all mounted on the stand or maybe even on a rotating drum and selectable by footswitch. Have one bass but have all the tones, one bass to rule them all, I call it The GAS Master. Patent applied for. Back up, now, form a queue!

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Or... what about a stationary pickup mounted on a stand in front of the player and you just stand in front of it and play, keeping the bass positioned wherever you want the strings to be picked up. You could have an array of all kinds of pickups, P, J, MM, MFD, all mounted on the stand or maybe even on a rotating drum and selectable by footswitch. Have one bass but have all the tones, one bass to rule them all, I call it The GAS Master. Patent applied for. Back up, now, form a queue!

Or... a bass with a carousel fitted to the front with that same selection of pickups - just rotate it to the desired pup, bit like this chap.

Lewis_Gun_(derivated).jpg

By Balcer - File:Lewis gun St Thomas 6.JPG, CC BY 2.5, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=54223921

The first bass (or guitar for that matter) I remember seeing with moving pickups were the Dan Armstrong 'London' series. Always wanted one when they were quite common, but now of course they're like hens teeth it would seem.

More info here http://www.danarmstrong.org/londonbass.html

earlybass1_250.jpg

Edited by casapete
  • Like 1