Why become a member? ×

HPF & Signal Chain

d-basser

Apologies if this has been asked before, I did do a cursory search.

I am going to be building a Schalltechnik_04 HPF and I was wanting to get opinions on where it would be best placed in my signal chain. The intention is to allow me to best get some punchy and heavy sounds whilst still allowing my amp and speakers to run efficiently. I am running a six string through a board that has, amongst other stuff, a couple of drives, fuzz, chorus and reverb. My plan was to run it last in the chain as pedals like the always on drive I use (Oh See Demon) can add quite a bit of low end and I think it could be tamed a little.

What are people's thoughts and experiences? Should I run it first so all my effects are seeing a nice filtered signal or last to tame the effect of my effects? Or, as I suspect, is this just a suck it and see type deal where it is completely application specific and I should just try both?

Edited by d-basser

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I have a Thumpinator and I've tried it at the beginning of the chain, the end and in the FX loop.

I liked it best at the end of the chain before the amp - last place on the pedal board.

I agree that this would be the most sensible placement taking OP's intention with using it into consideration. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I agree that this would be the most sensible placement taking OP's intention with using it into consideration. 

Yup me too - clean up the signal before it hits the amp. That’s where I have it in my signal - just before my compressor (last pedal on my board). 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nekomatic said:

Given the apparently even split here between HPFfirstians and HPFlastians,  I have to wonder if there’s a case for two HPF stages, one before any other effects or EQ and one after… maybe at 12 dB/octave each?

The bass produces very low frequencies only through handling (B is 31.5 Hz). It is possible that while playing the instrument is hit, and handling fills the channel. This may affect some effects a bit, but I do not think this is very crucial. It is also feasible to understand that the frequency response of many units is limited from both ends (like 30 - 8 000 Hz). To remind you, a magnet-coil system is a BPF.

Some effects like octaver can go very low, and that's why the HPF is doing the most as the last in line. As stated before, if your comp is at the end, the HPF can be before the comp. From the technological point of view, comp is refining the end product (i.e. sound), just like the HPF. But as said before, try and find the most suitable to your sound.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...