Why become a member? ×

Adam Clayton: Sexist bass comments

Nail Soup

24 minutes ago, TimR said:

Except that was exactly what he meant. 

You thought his comment meant that bassists and drummers are all men, and guitarists/singers/keyboardists/whoever else in the band are all young female people?

Edited by Kev

2 hours ago, Japhet said:

So you're saying that size matters. I'm so offended by this that I'll now have to lie in a darkened room for several months (on full pay naturally), until I hopefully get over it. Otherwise I'll have to try to live with it for the rest of my life. Am I being over sensitive?

It might matter to some...I wonder if Billy Boy and his 34 incher would have joined a Rock Band called Mr. Small?

:D

2 hours ago, Kev said:

You thought his comment meant that bassists and drummers are all men, and guitarists/singers/keyboardists/whoever else in the band are all young female people?

No. I thought he meant that the bass and drums were large heavy sections like men and the other instruments were light and delicate like women. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TimR said:

No. I thought he meant that the bass and drums were large heavy sections like men and the other instruments were light and delicate like women. 

Yeah me too, basically.  Why from that did he get personally attacked by someone telling him they were better than him, despite him being a heavy man?

I'm just trying to make sense of it.  I get referring to lighter/more delicate things as girly is an old fashioned and outdated way of referring to things, but I don't understand why a female artist would see it as an attack on their musicianship?  But, as I think @EBS_freakwas angling at by his ponderous question to me, I am speaking from a position of privilege, if that truly means anything in this particular context.

Grief.

You need to see it in the context of a Phil Lynott documentary. Phil unashamedly played up to his reputation as a womaniser, albeit usually with his tongue in his cheek (if not someone else's) viz. "Hey you good lookin' female. Come here!"

Clayton was no doubt trying to humorously reflect on this, but his choice of words does come across as "I'm going to finish this metaphor, no matter how deep a hole it needs..."

• Haha 1

Conversely Melissa Auf Der Maur once said in an interview....

"Bass is a very feminine instrument, it's a natural role for women to take in a band. Its not that women play better. With bass, you have to rely on feel, and women are good at that. Also, the dynamic of bass in a band is to follow and nurture. Women are a lot more capable of that".

Personally, I don't give a chuff what anyone thinks about the gender of the bass. I'm more interested in if they can play.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Clayton was no doubt trying to humorously reflect on this, but his choice of words does come across as "I'm going to finish this metaphor, no matter how deep a hole it needs..."

He should stick to playing bass…

…having said that…

• Haha 5

It’s like the Sex Pistols on the Grundy show all over again. These libertine rock stars and their potty mouths. I even heard that the bass player from Coldplay blasphemed whilst preparing his Quinoa avocado salad.

Filthy degenerates the lot of them.

39 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I even heard that the bass player from Coldplay blasphemed whilst preparing his Quinoa avocado salad.

That's not his worst crime. He probably helped write their music or at the very least he agreed to record it

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Doddy said:

"Bass is a very feminine instrument, it's a natural role for women to take in a band. Its not that women play better. With bass, you have to rely on feel, and women are good at that. Also, the dynamic of bass in a band is to follow and nurture. Women are a lot more capable of that".

I'm OFFENDED!!!!! Outdated sexist stereotype......

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Doddy said:

But then she bollokcsed it all up by saying that Jazz Basses were only any good for "walking around going dink-dink-dink" :lol:

Has there ever been a time when rock stars don’t offend people? Even Coldplay offend me with their overwhelming wholesome blandness.

Even more bizarre is when people look to them for spiritual or moral awareness or care what they think. He’s a bass player not the Dalai Lama.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1