Why become a member? ×

Adam Clayton: Sexist bass comments

Nail Soup

13 minutes ago, TrypF said:

What irks me is that the 'journalist' (and I use the term loosely), decided 'I can see how someone could take offence at this, especially if pushed in the right direction. I'll call round every female bass player in my book of indie bands, ask them how offended they are, then pick the most outraged response and use that as my big quote'. A shiny pound says he got quite a few women saying 'and you point is? Stop wasting my time.'

I think it's worse than that. She put a video of this interview on twitter. Adam Clayton is on TV saying this stuff and she just goes "pr!ck." At the end. 

So the "journalist" has seen this few seconds long clip on twitter and written an article about it.

Where's the slow handclap emoji?

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

Indie artist Nadine Shah responded: “Adam Clayton is a f***ing spenk. My ‘girly stuff’ 5h1ts on what you do.”

Mmm, does it? Just listening to your latest effort (Kitchen Sink - released 2020) and I haven’t found any clear indication of that at all. How about you start selling out stadiums globally and grossing 100’s of million per tour and we’ll start talking. Until then, let’s stop the personal insults Nadine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MartinB said:

Maybe it was a thoughtless comment that, when challenged, he acknowledges makes him sound like an idiot and doesn't represent his views. Or maybe he's a raging misogynist and says stuff like this all the time. We don't know, because the NME failed to do any actual journalism.

It's a couple of lines in a documentary on Phil Lynott - "A Song For While I'm Away" - he's talking about Phil and how Phil added a sexual context to his performance with a bass. There were so very obvioulsy phallic insinuations with Phil, a man from a very different era. Let's be honest, if you watch a documentary on Lynott and think Clayton is the notable mysoginist, well... you've only seen what you wanted to see. Context, as ever, is everything and, as ever, is easily overlooked when there is attention to be grabbed.

• Like 9

http://www.mxdwn.co.uk/news/nadine-shah-takes-exception-with-adam-clayton-comment-on-bass-players-being-the-men-of-the-band/

I just watched the clip found via the link above.

Typical male bravado stinky poo-talk that really should have died out by now.

I don't know her music. Dont care for his. But I imagine that if I was female, I'd be pretty tired of still hearing this rhetoric. Bringing gender into music. For crying out loud.

He should go back to playing his jazz.

In reality, I guess, unless you are female, you can't really say how this would impact you - and if you are a bloke on a bass forum, then your opinions probably shouldn't count for anything anyway. The sooner that men stop telling women what their role should be, how they should feel etc... the better the world will be.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 14

I notice she didn't take offence at "are there any girls in the audience with any Irish in them? Are there any who'd like a little more Irish in them?" 🙄

Way to raise your profile on social media....

Edited by cetera
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cetera said:

I notice she didn't take offence at "are there any girls in the audience with any Irish in them? Are the any who'd like a little more Irish in them?" 🙄

Way to raise your profile on social media....

I think that's a somewhat more interesting way of asking for a shag other than route one, and at least he's asking.

13 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I do agree with him that U2 is pretty gay though, but it's not like Clayton counters that in any way, quite on the contrary. 

"Pretty gay"? I'm offended on behalf of....er..... anyone who gets offended by everything on other people's behalf...

'Nadine whoever' has the right to be offended. I have the right not to give a poo.....

Edited by cetera

As a woman who plays bass I'm not so much offended as bored sh!tless by Clayton, his playing and the cr@p he's talking about in the bit quoted in the OP. I did not click on any links.

However, the usual way to check if something is offensive or simply irritatingly idiotic, is to replace certain key words.

And then all the other kind of girly stuff sits on top, but we are the men of the band

And then all the other kind of gay stuff sits on top, but we are the straight men of the band

And then all the other kind of black-inspired stuff sits on top, but we are the white men of the band

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I have always failed to see why anyone should take the opinion of a musician about anything seriously simply because they are famous, rich or successful. 

Ars*hol*s and opinions, we've all got them and they all stink at various times. 

I do agree with Stephen Fry, offence is taken, not given, if you don't like what Clayton had to say, so what?

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

So what you are saying is that you take offence of someone taking offence, but not for click and exposure?

Doesn't that make what you say a paradox?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. 

5 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

So what you are saying is that you take offence of someone taking offence, but not for click and exposure?

Isn't that ironic.

No. It's not ironic. It just doesn't make sense. I haven't taken offence, I'm just baffled why you thought I had. I have, however, expressed an observation that many news stories these days seem to be a minor celebrity taking offence at a bigger celebrity which frequently raises their public profile and results in easy exposure to the outlets carrying the "news". I've also tried to offer the context around the carefully selected quote from Clayton, having watched the entire documentary and knowing quite a bit about Lynott and the reference from a bygone era which Clayton was trying, clumsily, to convey.

But offended? Not yet 🙂

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Trueno said:

… and some of us (myself included) only have shorties. We even have our own thread.

Indeed.

Sometimes what I hold is shorter, sometimes longer. Not only that but I find the girth differs too when I put my hand around it. Occasionally I may pop on a G string etc etc.

David, Smell the Glove is here…

Its been said before but its worth reiteration......Reporting that A says its raining and B says its not,  does not make you a journalist. A journalist goes outside to see who is telling the truth.

Edited by mikel
Adition
  • Like 2