Why become a member? ×

Adam Clayton: Sexist bass comments

Nail Soup

NME Reports that Adam Clayton has been criticised for comments he made about the bass in a Phil Lynot doc.

Clayton: One thing you need to know about the bass is it’s that big, heavy thing that hangs down between your legs

Clayton: The bass is this secret weapon. It’s where the power comes from. It looks in a groove with the drum kit – the drums and the bass gives you that nice, kind of sexy wiggle of the hips. And then all the other kind of girly stuff sits on top, but we are the men of the band

Indie artist Nadine Shah responded: “Adam Clayton is a f***ing spenk. My ‘girly stuff’ 5h1ts on what you do.”

Can't seem to get a link to the NME page.

• Haha 2

As Adam was speaking of bass playing as a whole, including female bass players, has Nadine just said she stinky poos on all of us? That's both rude and messy.

Seriously, though, future interviews will soon be monosyllabic grunts for fear of someone taking offence at using an old saying which can be misconstrued and used as a weapon. That's great when it comes to the likes of Liam Gallagher, but some artists can be genuinely interesting when giving their slant on the world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I’ve read comments from Adam Clayton before… my first thoughts were always that he had a rather pathetic sense of humour. Whether that is fed by sexism… or any other “ism”… I don’t know.

If I met him at a party I’d quickly distance myself from him.

• Like 8

Look at the positive: I've now heard of Nadine, and I respect her view, her musicianship may well 5hit all over anything Mr Clayton does. But really, he didn't say "women shouldn't play bass" or "women can't play bass" did he? He linked bass playing with old masculine traits of strength etc which is a bit old fashioned but he didn't punch Tina Weymouth or Suzi Q or say any woman was a bad bassist.

Storm in a tea cup and Nadine has capitalised on it.

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Maybe it was a thoughtless comment that, when challenged, he acknowledges makes him sound like an idiot and doesn't represent his views. Or maybe he's a raging misogynist and says stuff like this all the time. We don't know, because the NME failed to do any actual journalism.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MartinB said:

Maybe it was a thoughtless comment that, when challenged, he acknowledges makes him sound like an idiot and doesn't represent his views. Or maybe he's a raging misogynist and says stuff like this all the time. We don't know, because the NME failed to do any actual journalism.

Do they ever do any actual journalism?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Quite a lot of "news" these days is someone you've never heard of taking offence at something someone you have heard of has said.

Or loads of screenshots of various random people on Twitter commenting or "reacting" to some nonsense that in context doesn't actually mean what the headline says. But hey, you clicked on it so the "journalist" did their job, right?

My brother is a journalist for a newspaper. He was really miffed at the quality of his writing being measured by how many people click on his articles. Not whether they read it, like it, make a comment, share it, whether it's factually accurate, nope. Just how many clicks you get. I suggested he headline every article as "Kim Kardashian sends a message to Ronaldo, number 3 will shock you!"

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

And this is news?😂

More than that...It's NME news..!!

Talking of Spenk. Adam's f***ing Spenk account is defiantly bigger.

"Nadine Shah net worth is approximately $1.5 Million".

"Adam Clayton net worth is approximately $400 Million".

:D

What irks me is that the 'journalist' (and I use the term loosely), decided 'I can see how someone could take offence at this, especially if pushed in the right direction. I'll call round every female bass player in my book of indie bands, ask them how offended they are, then pick the most outraged response and use that as my big quote'. A shiny pound says he got quite a few women saying 'and you point is? Stop wasting my time.'

• Like 2