Why become a member? ×

In ear systems

Harlequin74

1 hour ago, Mottlefeeder said:

As a fellow hearing aid user, I have noticed that when you take hearing aids out and put in-ears in, you lose the mids/top end that the hearing aid was providing. 

Does anyone make a monitor amplifier that has suitable eq built in?

David

If you are on a digital desk, check the global EQ for that channel. You should be able to carve in some EQ.

You could also feed your aux into a  separate 31 band EQ (eg stand-alone  unit) to make your fine adjustments before going into your headphone amp. Ideally you want to run in stereo with a 31 band EQ on each side to have the appropriate EQ for each ear.

Hope this helps. 🙂 Hit me up if you need some guidance.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mottlefeeder said:

We mainly play outdoors using an analogue powered mixer, and I was hoping to avoid having to share our 3m x 3m gazebo with rack mounted gear.

A 7 band pedal eq might be worth a punt.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I dont know what kinda of money you have to spend but the Boss EQ200 is a good, 10 band, stereo, small pedal solution that may be right up your street. (I'm guessing you aren't in stereo off the analogue mixer - but splitting into the EQ200 may be able to compensate for both of you ears (assuming your hearing loss profile is not identical in both ears). 

EDIT: this is quite a good topic of conversation, I'll write some extra stuff for the bible thread.

Edited by EBS_freak

Looking at graphic eq to fix a hearing problem, I concluded that half of the faders would be flat, and the rest at max- then I ran some tests.

Interestingly, my audio test chart appears to show my hearing as ok up to 1kHz then dropping by 30dB for most of the rest of the spectrum. However, playing with the eq on a DAW I found that a low Q boost of 8-10dB at about 4kHz brought back most of the clarity I was missing.

I presume that this is the difference between detection threshold and normal listening levels as described by the Fletcher Munnsen curves, but I'm well out of my depth on the theory.

David

• 1 month later...
On 28/12/2021 at 19:57, EBS_freak said:

There's not necessarily a "best" IEM as all of them have positives and negatives. If budget is not an issue, I think my favourite IEM would be the 64 Audio A12t - but they are around £1750. Not heard anything I prefer to it yet.

If budget is not 1750, these would be the ones I would check out

Ultimate Ears

UE6 - £615

UE11 - £955

UE18+ - £1280

64 Audio

A4t - (although this has now been replaced by the A4s which I haven't heard this one yet (circa 900-1000 I think))

N8 - £1490

and of course the A12t

JH Audio

JH11 - £900

JH13 or (if you like more bass) JH16 - £1150/1320

Roxanne - £1665

Don't be put off by the lower price of the UE6 - they are actually are really good proposition if you want to stick the other side of £1000. Certainly the only custom IEM I have tried and would recommend for bass players at that price point.

PM1 - will give you a wired headphone amp that can be run from a mixing desk, giving you a mono mix over a balanced connection, or a stereo mix over an unbalanced connection. Plug the PM1 into the bands desk and set a mix on there. If it's a digital desk that you are connecting into, the likelihood is that you will be able to download an app for your ipad, iphone or android device (although not all manufacturers support android) to control all the individual channels. Make sure you have a router for your desk so that you can connect remotely to it and dial in your mix independent of the physical desk itself.

If you are in the A&H ecosystem and want something physical to mix on, you may want to check out the ME1 as an alternative.

The overall volume of you your inears should be controlled via your PM1.

I've been using the ME-1 for about 4 years now and have to say that it's a wonderful bit of kit and makes IEM use so much more enjoyable. The built in ambient mic is a great little feature. If you have the A&H QU desk then the ME-1 is a really easy way of getting a fantastic set up at a relatively affordable cost.

Hi there

just have to give some feedback having received my JH Audio J16’s and used them on Saturdays gig. 

i was truly amazed! Hi fi clarity, and deep rumbly bass which you can adjust on the IEM cable. I was honestly hearing what my band mates were playing as never before! And super comfortable, never really aware of them other than the cable.

one thing to watch for is volume, as initially i was running mine too loud. Zero distortion and lack of dynamic range toward the end of the set. Just lovely, clear music snd no ringing ears the next morning. Bliss.

thanks to EBS Freak, and a shout out to Paul at Custom In Ears who was amazing. Very patient, and helped with my choice.

if you thinking of going this route, and saving whats left of your hearing, dont hesitate - you wont regret it.

now to solve my personal mixer……ME1 methinks……….. finding it a faff to get the keyboard player to alter my mix, so need to do this myself.

loving this journey…….

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Good stuff.

If you are using a QU16, you may want to consider a ME500 - it only copes with 16 channels but it will save you some cash if you don't need access to 40 channels. 

No ambient mic on the ME500 though and that is the one feature that I really couldn’t live without.

• Thanks 1