Why become a member? ×

New Guy

Dave_1

Morning everyone

I'm new to the forum, so a big hello, I haven't picked a guitar up in 20 odd years, So sort of starting again, I've never learned how to play the bass, big regret as I've always wanted to learn it, would any of you have some pointers as to what bass to buy, I've looked at a couple, I'm torn between the Fender Aerodyne or the Ibanez 600, second hand obviously, what would you guys recommend ? I'm not a lover of cheap cheap instrument's, but don't want to spend the earth starting off again

also any recommendations for a bass tutor, I'm based nr Chelmsford Essex

any help would be appreciated 

Dave

Welcome Dave

There are several basses in the £300 region which are worth looking at. The Marcus Miller Sire, The G&L Tributes, Squire Standard (both P and J pick ups) and Spector are all worth looking at. Avoid the Affinity range Fenders - all the above are better basses for the money.

Lots of bargains to be had in the Marketplace here so keep an eye on what's on offer.

Beware of the dreaded GAS - pointless telling you really as we all succumb to it.

I've just discovered the Harley Benton.  Amazing bit of kit for £138 new inc VAT from Thomanns.The Revelation is also great for a bit more money (£200).  If you've more money again then a second hand Sire will likely be all you ever need. I've had four - I kept buying them to revisit that 'wow' feeling.  I would join Scott Bass Lessons (SBL) for teaching and/or Talking Bass.net.  You can try out SBL for free for 14 days to see if it cuts your mustard. My personal experience is that face2face tutors are expensive and rubbish in comparison but that is (obv) only my experience.     

Edited by lownote

Welcome Dave. 

There’s so much choice now it’s a bit overwhelming. Of the basses you mentioned, have you tried

either of them or is it based on reviews etc?

It always helps to try as many different ones as you can. I’d suggest trying one of Yamaha’s many models over the years, you rarely get a bad one of those. 

• Like 1

Not sure where you're based Dave but keep your eyes open for Bass Bashes in your area. There are normally notifications in the "Events" thread.

The events are open to bassists and other musicians. Attendees bring their basses and amps and there's the opportunity to try that gear. Just ask. Much of the gear is hard to come by and won't be available in your local shops. Check the "Events" threads for info on previous events.

We're are a friendly bunch so PM your local members who have gear you might be interested in and see if you can try theirs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/12/2021 at 21:32, TheGreek said:

Welcome Dave

There are several basses in the £300 region which are worth looking at. The Marcus Miller Sire, The G&L Tributes, Squire Standard (both P and J pick ups) and Spector are all worth looking at. Avoid the Affinity range Fenders - all the above are better basses for the money.

Lots of bargains to be had in the Marketplace here so keep an eye on what's on offer.

Beware of the dreaded GAS - pointless telling you really as we all succumb to it.

thanks mate. Appreciate your help. I’ve just bought myself a Marcus miller V9 4 string. And a couple of Ashdown amps with an electric blue 180. Very impressed with the Marcus miller. Lovely to play. Play in the lightest of sense at the mo lol 

2 hours ago, Dave_1 said:

thanks mate. Appreciate your help. I’ve just bought myself a Marcus miller V9 4 string. And a couple of Ashdown amps with an electric blue 180. Very impressed with the Marcus miller. Lovely to play. Play in the lightest of sense at the mo lol 

Good choice 👌