Why become a member? ×

Caline Stellar DCP-10 eq compressor

NewUser

I got one today, a stellar eq compressor. I like it so far, I'm keeping it. Simple, works, no noisy hiss. 

Only thing bothering me, I can't figure out what the knob labeled EQ is doing. All the way counter clockwise seems dull, all the way clockwise gets sharp tone. Least that's what it sounds like. I'm keeping it at 12 O'clock for now. I'm wondering if it's boosting and cutting mids.

I searched and seen no topics on this pedal yet so here we go.

I'll disassemble it if you all want to see what's in the case.

Apparently the compressor is based on the Diamond pedal, so if it sounds as good as that you're on to a winner.

On the Diamond comp, the EQ knob controls a tilt eq (they don't specify the tilt frequency point), so you tilt the overall tonal balance more to the bass frequencies or more to the treble side, 12 o'clock being neutral.

The compressor you have is the same as their 'pressure tank' pedal and they describe the eq knob on that as a tone control. From what you're describing it does sound like it's acting as a tilt eq. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quick note on tilt eq's; the Aguilar octamizer uses one and it has more or less become my main means of controlling my overall tone. 

When I kick in my compressor it can be a bit too forceful in the bass frequencies for some situations but I like the overall tone, so the tilt just redresses the balance nicely. 

Conversely when I kick in my phaser it can get a bit treble heavy but with a little bit of tilt it's sorted. Simple but effective. 

• Thanks 1

On 06/12/2021 at 04:32, Boodang said:

Apparently the compressor is based on the Diamond pedal, so if it sounds as good as that you're on to a winner.

On the Diamond comp, the EQ knob controls a tilt eq (they don't specify the tilt frequency point), so you tilt the overall tonal balance more to the bass frequencies or more to the treble side, 12 o'clock being neutral.

The compressor you have is the same as their 'pressure tank' pedal and they describe the eq knob on that as a tone control. From what you're describing it does sound like it's acting as a tilt eq. 

The Diamond Bass comp has a Tilt Point of either 900 or 250hz

• Thanks 1

I'm trying to get a Diamond Bass Compressor Jr but it seems almost impossible. Internet searches point me to one sold on Basschat over a year ago, no UK shops stock them, there's nothing on Reverb or eBay - even globally.

From what I gather, the Mooer Yellow Compressor (£40) and the Caline Pressure Tank (£30)  are 'inspired' by the Diamond.  But does anyone here know how 'inspired' they are? i.e. are they Diamond clones or just using the same principle of a compressor with a tilt EQ? Neither of them have the 250/900Hz tilt center switch so I guess they aren't exact clones and are just using the same principle.

Edit: I've just found via onvilab that the Mooer Yellow does not replicate the sound of the Diamond 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

I'm trying to get a Diamond Bass Compressor Jr but it seerms almost impossible. Internet searches point me to one sold on Basschat over a year ago, no UK shops stock them, there's nothing on Reverb or eBay - even globally.

From what I gather, the Mooer Yellow Compressor (£40) and the Caline Pressure Tank (£30)  are 'inspired' by the Diamond.  But does anyone here know how 'inspired' they are? i.e. are they Diamond clones or just using the same principle of a compressor with a tilt EQ? Neither of them have the 250/900Hz tilt center switch so I guess they aren't exact clones and are just using the same principle.

Edit: I've just found via onvilab that the Mooer Yellow does not replicate the sound of the Diamond 

I will open it this weekend and show what's inside the case, if that helps?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewUser said:

I will open it this weekend and show what's inside the case, if that helps?

Thanks but my technical knowledge means I wouldn't be able to tell a compressor's components from a calculator! It's a bit academic for me now as I've just bought an Earthquaker Devices 'The Warden' compressor. 

• Haha 1