Why become a member? ×

Ovation Magnum

Boodang

20211205_134602.thumb.jpg.b65ae9f26d6942489dd5df5c16c12b7d.jpg

Anybody remember the old Magnum basses? I loved them especially the early I & II which had a really interesting body shape. Obviously too radical as they changed it for something more normal (as above) for versions III & IV. 

Came across this one the other day and have been procrastinating so it's probably gone, but an interesting version. I'm not a fan of bolt on necks so was quite intrigued to see they did a set neck on this prototype, and just left the '4 coil' pickup in the hot spot.

Played these a few times back in the day (always someone else's) and always wanted one, then a while ago I bought one on ebay while I was living abroad. Unfortunately personal circumstances took a turn and I never picked it up or got it delivered (I know!!) so never saw it (or got my money back but the least of my issues at the time!). So, an unfulfilled dream but maybe the reality of the real thing would be a let down? You should never meet your heroes!

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 1

The large neck pickup had 4 individual coils and was quite fat sounding, although the position of it had a lot to do with that. It had individual trim pots for each coil, I believe Bassculture make a version of it.

The rear pickup on the original was not a single coil but a hum canceling split coil. 

Edited by Boodang

11 minutes ago, Boodang said:

The large neck pickup had 4 individual coils and was quite fat sounding, although the position of it had a lot to do with that. It had individual trim pots for each coil, I believe Bassculture make a version of it.

The rear pickup on the original was not a single coil but a hum canceling split coil. 

Ah - I missed you post!

4 individual coils? Interesting...

Oooof! Too technical for me ... I think of them as very big mud-buckers, though that's pretty harsh!

Essentially the set up is a bit of a P/J thing. I use the big mudbucker as my main source, but dial in (God I hate that expression!) some of the bridge pickup for extra bite.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

If you were closer to London, I'd suggest coming over and trying them both - I have a Mk.II and a Mk.IV.

Very kind. Yeah, I’d like to try something like that at some point, but I’m not travelling much at the moment… 

Maybe next year when I’m out and about more. 

• Like 1

Looks like they were going for a Stingray vibe with that one, though it’s from 1980 the Magnum was pretty much extinct by then - shame, as they were lovely basses with design features ahead of their time.  

As far as I’m aware the 1 - 4 models actually had glued in set necks too, they just also had a “belt and braces” bolted neck plate.

Just reread the ad for this bass... according to the post this prototype was designed to compete with the Peavey basses of the day hence the prefix PF stood for Peavey f**ker! Don't know if there's any basis in truth but still amusing. 

• Like 1