Why become a member? ×

What is micro-compositional playing?

Manwithvan

A slight digression but an interesting anecdote; in an interview with Svensson, he mentions a moment when EST were playing a gig and at the a venue nearby, James Last was playing.  JL turned up with umpteen lorries worth of gear and sold out for weeks, they turned up in a transit van hoping to half fill a venue. He thought EST was worthy of umpteen lorries and being sold out and vowed to make them more popular as a result.

Tuesday Wonderland was the start of that venture.

I was first exposed to this kind of approach when I was asked to go on a Steve Martland workshop whilst in 6th form (23/24 years ago!?). As a non classical musician who played electric bass it was probably the first time I was in an environment that 'accepted' the instrument outside of your typical jazz/rock gigs etc.

23 hours ago, Boodang said:

Some of the rules Russo gives for micro 'cell' composition;

Melodies with no harmony or accompaniment should start and end on the first tone of the scale and in the same octave.

Use 2nds and 3rds freely, take care with augs and dims (use as an expression of the human voice), & do not exceed the total range of a major 10th.

Don't alter tempo with ritardandos, accelerandos or fermatas as they get in the way of clear rhythmic motion.

The idea behind these restrictions is apparently to give focus and clarity to achieve rhythmic balance and melody that maintains momentum. 

Sounds like hymns to me...