Why become a member? ×

$700 Squier CV...JJ model from 2015

jd56hawk

When I bought my Inca Silver Classic Vibe Jazz bass for $500, quite a few people questioned my...prudence.

After seeing this James Johnston CV for $699, and that's after a $100 markdown, I feel somewhat vindicated.

PhotoCollage_1638665457260.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 3

It's a nice looking bass. 

From my own experience any bass I've bought with more inclination to sell at a higher value than to play has always lost me money. Basses I've kept and played for years, never thinking I'd sell, but later moved on are the only ones where I've broken even or made profit.

Only a pretty bad businessman would invest in new basses with the intention of selling them later, used, for profit.

There are far more profitable ways to invest your money.

Buy a bass for what it is intended to, to play it, if you want to invest money look somewhere else.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

Money in the bank is getting virtually no interest and inflation is far higher than is reported. If you want to invest in instruments, old BMX bike, 80s nostalgia or a new and improved beer belly go ahead it’s your money. Just don’t get carried away.

• Like 1

• jd56hawk changed the title to $700 Squier CV...JJ model from 2015
18 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Both different basses though?

Do you reckon the CV series will grow to become as expensive as the JVs?

Never played one, probably never will, but if the Japanese Squiers are as good as some Fenders, I believe it, because my CV is better than any Fender MIM I've ever played, including the new Fender Player Plus basses...even though I've only played three.

Of course, my Squier has D'Addario black tapewounds on it, so that definitely enters into it.

Seriously, if I saw this James Johnston Jazz bass hanging up at Guitar Center, Sam Ash or any other shop in my area, and the price was $599, I'd buy it...if it played and sounded as good as mine.

Something else to consider...is every Chinese CV Jazz the same, or are there exceptional models?

I definitely believe the latter.

As for price, I'd like to see what they sell for five or ten years from now, specifically the Inca Silver and Lake Placid Blue models. 

Edited by jd56hawk

• 2 weeks later...

If it plays and sounds half as nice as mine it's a real bargain...hard to tell what condition it's in, it's listed as excellent with light wear, but I bought mine online trusting the seller and the gamble paid off.

Regardless, people are spending more money on new CVs and the Chinese ones are much better.

Someone's going to get lucky...would make the perfect Christmas present.

Edited by jd56hawk

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

Well, there's one on Bass Direct for £250 right now and they aren't known for bargain basement pricing.

Surely they got the memo on what CIC CV prices are doing? 2014 bass in excellent condition with light player wear

Perhaps this is another Bass Direct price typo. Perhaps it's a consignment sale and the seller has asked for it to be priced to sell toot sweet? 🤷 For context there's a good condition 2010 60s P being offered here for £475.

Edited by Ricky Rioli

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Surely they got the memo on what CIC CV prices are doing? 2014 bass in excellent condition with light player wear

Perhaps this is another Bass Direct price typo. Perhaps it's a consignment sale and the seller has asked for it to be priced to sell toot sweet? 🤷 For context there's a good condition 2010 60s P being offered here for £475.

I don't know what that Jazz went for, but the last 2 on ebay went for £230ish and I've seen original run CV's for £250ish if you keep an eye out. 

Except for the Fiesta red Ps, they always seem to go for north of £450, seems a bit bonkers to me, but I guess it's the Pino effect??

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I don't know what that Jazz went for, but the last 2 on ebay went for £230ish and I've seen original run CV's for £250ish if you keep an eye out. 

Except for the Fiesta red Ps, they always seem to go for north of £450, seems a bit bonkers to me, but I guess it's the Pino effect??

As an example of Bass Direct's usual prices, they started my TRBX604 (available for £570 brand new) at £525, and then after a while dropped it all the way to £499 ;)

So them starting something at an ebay price does look unusual, no?

I always wondered where on earth the popularity of the awful Fiesta + tort combo came from. The sole blot on Pino's record?

I bought a Squier CV Jazz in Olympic White in 2009 for £250 new. I still have it. I very much doubt it would fetch more than £250 now. Which is fine, I’ve modded it incessantly and I have spent probably a thousand hours on it when I was at music school. It has served its need well. 

IMO there are better ways to speculate with your money. I don’t think the CV’s will appreciate the way the JV’s did. The supply of CV’s is considerably higher. 

• Like 3

Most CV basses are still available to buy new now, albeit some colour combos and certain exact specs etc may have been dropped. That being the case it would be difficult to understand why someone wouldn't  just buy a new one.

When I bought a CV earlier in the year I was shopping around and found a used one that had been relic'd (or more accurately near destroyed) on sale for 1200. I thought about it for about a nanosecond before simply buying a new one, and spending the change on a hooker, some crack cocaine, and still had 20 quid left over to give a tip to the nurse at the STD clinic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 08/12/2021 at 09:39, Supernaut said:

I purchased the exact same bass (secondhand) two years ago for £240. So around $320. 

I'm not sure if you're talking about the Inca Silver or LPB one, but do you still own it?

Other than that, I don't know why some people are talking about basses as investments, that's something else entirely.

As for the new CV Jazz basses or any of the recent used Indonesian ones, sure, they're out there and people are buying them, but the Chinese ones are superior...that's why they sell for more...easy enough to understand.

(I'm talking about the limited edition Inca Silver and Lake Placid Blue ones, that is, but the Chinese Squier CV '50s Precision in LPB is in the same category and they sell for more than the new ones, too...$500 and up.)

Edited by jd56hawk

2 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

I'm not sure if you're talking about the Inca Silver or LPB one, but do you still own it?

Other than that, I don't know why some people are talking about basses as investments, that's something else entirely.

As for the new CV Jazz basses or any of the recent used Indonesian ones, sure, they're out there and people are buying them, but the Chinese ones are superior...that's why they sell for more...easy enough to understand.

(I'm talking about the limited edition Inca Silver and Lake Placid Blue ones, that is, but the Chinese Squier CV '50s Precision in LPB is in the same category and they sell for more than the new ones, too...$500 and up.)

How are they empirically better? 

3 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

It was an Inca Silver Jazz - I sold it because I didn't understand all the hype about them. Made a tidy profit mind you...