Why become a member? ×

Fender Masterbuilt Geddy Lee Jazz bass...special can mean so many things.

jd56hawk

8 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I think that’s the overriding question to this isn’t it, the MB Strat I played was truly fantastic, easily the best guitar I’ve ever picked up, but to quantify it as being 12 times better than a Mex Standard would be difficult.

Indeed. In my case I tried 3 x MIM Geddy Lee's, and one was head and shoulders above the other two for finish, feel and tone.  I can't see this being 6 times better than whatnis already one of the nicest basses I've ever played.

I had a MIM Geddy for a while, loved it, sounded great, played really well, didn't have enough strings in the end. 

I've played master built Warwicks, BFR Musicman and custom shop Fenders over the years and they've all been a cut above the quality of the mass produced instruments, but that would need to be something very special to justify the price tag, Alan at ACG is building spectacular basses for half the money, many others too.

In the end you pays your money and takes your choice.

At the end of the day it’s a master build copy of a regular bass. How much can your do to improve it? I’m sure it’s lovely to know quality control is not an issue and doubtless the hand made pick ups elevate the sound a great deal but I doubt it’s three times better than an Ultra model. Even if it was that much better, it would also be better then the Jeddy’s original bass so how is it a copy?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Other than the fact there are very few of them or the association with Geddy Lee and Jason Smith I can’t think of any reasons that an affluent Rush fan or a collector of music memorabilia would want one.

Because they are so expensive they know that only people as well off as them can afford them. Why buy a Lacoste t-shirt when it's made in the same factory as a Primark one? (probably). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Because they are so expensive they know that only people as well off as them can afford them. Why buy a Lacoste t-shirt when it's made in the same factory as a Primark one? (probably). 

Whatever floats your boat. Keeps people in work and it’s more fun than designer luggage or Botox.

On 06/12/2021 at 13:09, TrevorG said:

At the end of the day it’s a master build copy of a regular bass. How much can your do to improve it? I’m sure it’s lovely to know quality control is not an issue and doubtless the hand made pick ups elevate the sound a great deal but I doubt it’s three times better than an Ultra model. Even if it was that much better, it would also be better then the Jeddy’s original bass so how is it a copy?

The thing is Fender knows they're going to sell basses like this...they don't care who  buys it, a player or someone who just sits there staring at it rubbing his hands together like Ebenezer Scrooge.

If I want something special, I'm sure not going to buy a generic black Jazz bass with a white pickguard, I'm going to buy something truly distinctive.

th.jpeg-289.jpg

q7kaumzffqihglumuayj.jpg

gwjh4rahg9e2cs3uwkql.jpg

ae2284_ffa092239a5b49259c335018c4372586.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 2