Why become a member? ×

Fender Masterbuilt Geddy Lee Jazz bass...special can mean so many things.

jd56hawk

When asked what he thought about this new Masterbuilt Jazz model, Geddy Lee said:

"It's absolutely beautiful. I'm honored that Fender would go to such lengths."

When asked if he'd be buying it himself to add to his extensive collection, Mr. Lee hurriedly looked at his wrist and said "Sorry, running a bit late. Have to catch a plane!"

It was noted by this reporter that he wasn't wearing a watch.

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

The Masterbuilt instruments are amazing. A few months back I bought a Gibson SG and the guy I bought it from let me have a try of his Masterbuilt Stratocaster. There really was something special about that guitar, I couldn’t specify what exactly but it just felt “alive” and so responsive to how it was played. He got it for a good deal apparently, but even then the figure made me wince.

I'm sure it's stunning and an amazing instrument, but I just can't get past spending that much on a bass.... I just don't know how anyone could afford or justify it. I've often wondered how many of us have Foderas and the like sitting in the corner of the bedroom..... how many of us would take a 6K bass to a gig? Maybe that's not the point. 

• Like 1

You would have thought a masterbuilt instrument could use selected woods that kept the weight down. This one weighs close to 10 pounds which would rule me (and plenty of others) out, irrespective of the price

Edit: its out of stock now, ie sold. So there you go!

Edited by Clarky

• jd56hawk changed the title to Fender Masterbuilt Geddy Lee Jazz bass...special can mean so many things.

Just how "Masterbuilt" can a Fender be? 

Are the body & neck completely carved by hand with no CNC machinery used anywhere in the process? I somehow doubt it.

OK, materials may be top notch, but at the end of the day a fender is basically a wooden Meccano kit.

They certain don't require the level of skill that a high end acoustic or hollowbody electric would need.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Does it play 6 times better than a MIM Geddy Lee, or 3 times better than an MIA?

I think that’s the overriding question to this isn’t it, the MB Strat I played was truly fantastic, easily the best guitar I’ve ever picked up, but to quantify it as being 12 times better than a Mex Standard would be difficult.

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

I think that’s the overriding question to this isn’t it, the MB Strat I played was truly fantastic, easily the best guitar I’ve ever picked up, but to quantify it as being 12 times better than a Mex Standard would be difficult.

As mentioned elsewhere, Mike Rutherford is touring the world with Genesis using a Squier Strat (well, it has a Squier neck on it at least) 🤷‍♂️

My Geddy CS was expensive (nowhere near the price in the OP I should add) but a shed load of work went into the relic job. It really is a lovely bass if relics are your thing.

4 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

As mentioned elsewhere, Mike Rutherford is touring the world with Genesis using a Squier Strat (well, it has a Squier neck on it at least) 🤷‍♂️

My Geddy CS was expensive (nowhere near the price in the OP I should add) but a shed load of work went into the relic job. It really is a lovely bass if relics are your thing.

They’re Squires with a bit of upgraded hardware. His tech bought a couple in Newcastle for just over 100 each 😄

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

It is dispiriting how angry and/or scornful some consumers who have their every whim catered to are made by other consumers getting what they want. 

I don't want to be scornful if someone wants that bass. I know the bass must be very good.I just meant it was a sure thing that someone would buy it .