Why become a member? ×

Zoot 'Wal-a-like' - FINISHED

Bass Culture

1 hour ago, Bass Culture said:

Ah, so you don't round off the fingerboard edges until after the frets have gone in?  That's interesting, @Cosmicrain, I sort of assumed it would be done before.  There's going to be a really obvious reason why's it's done this way round, isn't there!

Yep, whilst the neck is still square on the back it's very easy to get a dead level finish on the fingerboard and frets (no "give" in the neck to worry about).  So I do all the fingerboard work and fretwork whilst in this state, then tape if off with three layers of masking tape and then continue to carve the back of the neck.  When all is done I then remove the masking tape and attend to any discrepancies on the frets (which is done when the bass is fitted up and at the final setup stage). It's a very accurate and quick way to work. Well, in my workshop anyway....

• Like 2

Mark always gets me to do a custom profile to the back of his bass necks.  This profile is a combination of a Wal type V and a modern flattened C.  The pictures show how I did this using my grinder with a 60G disc on it, a hand rasp, sanding block, some curved panel scrapers  and finally some sand paper.

MNN101.jpg

MNN102.jpg

MNN103.jpg

MNN106.jpg

MNN107.jpg

MNN108.jpg

Edited by Cosmicrain
  • Like 5

Oh good lord :o I love almost** everything about that. Absolutely gorgeous. I await sound clips with bated breath. There will be sound clips, right? Right..?

** the gold/black hardware mismatch is a bit jarring for my tastes, and it's missing a string :D but obvs that's entirely personal preference

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Oh good lord :o I love almost** everything about that. Absolutely gorgeous. I await sound clips with bated breath. There will be sound clips, right? Right..?

** the gold/black hardware mismatch is a bit jarring for my tastes, and it's missing a string :D but obvs that's entirely personal preference

There will be sound clips in due course.  Gold hardware - still not completely sure myself, to be honest.  I may get a set of black bridges and see what it looks like with black base plates and gold saddles.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bass Culture said:

There will be sound clips in due course.  Gold hardware - still not completely sure myself, to be honest.  I may get a set of black bridges and see what it looks like with black base plates and gold saddles.

IMO too much gold would be ostentatious. The bridge nicely compliments the line running along the edge of the body.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cosmicrain said:

Finally finished, Mark is due to collect next Friday.  And before you ask, yes it does sound like a "Wal" and then some.

MNFB1.jpg

That’s gorgeous. Congratulations Mark! 

FWIW I like the gold bridges, but I don’t mind gold hardware. Black would be fine too, but either way, it’s stunning. Food for thought; I want one!

I’d be interested to know what it weighs….

Edited by 4000
  • Like 3