Why become a member? ×

Joyo Oxford

stewblack

Joyo have slipped a bass amp and an effect past me. I must be getting old.

The American/British/Californian Sound pedals have been joined by the Oxford Sound.

It's orange. Allegedly sounds like Orange amps. 

Anyone got one? Are all the pedals actually all the same beyond the paint job? Does anyone care?

• Like 1

On 04/12/2021 at 18:47, stewblack said:

Joyo have slipped a bass amp and an effect past me. I must be getting old.

The American/British/Californian Sound pedals have been joined by the Oxford Sound.

It's orange. Allegedly sounds like Orange amps. 

Anyone got one? Are all the pedals actually all the same beyond the paint job? Does anyone care?

I know as much that the California Sound that I own is much darker sounding than the American Sound I also own, and that is even when played clean, with the gain set relatively low, but there's a huge difference in the way they overdrive and the tone of that too, so yes, seems like they are in fact different.

Also in case you don't know they are all clones of Tech 21's Character series pedals, though the California and Oxford has been discontinued for some time.

I am really happy with my American Sound, which is a clone of the Tech 21 Blonde pedal, and use it as a cleanish bass preamp in my current pedal setup.

The California is pretty good too, but as far as I am concerned where it really shines is for massively heavy distortion tones , currently I don't use mine though, and I do personally prefer the American Sound.

But as a big fan of the Joyo Orange Juice, of which I own 2 units, both in use in my current setup, which is supposed to essentially be a seriously sized down Oxford clone, but without an integrated  cab sim and with simplified EQ section to accommodate the miniature size, I am definitely going to soon snap one of these bigger fully featured Oxford clones from Joyo.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got down to order one of these yesterday from Thomann.

I am a bit surprised there haven't actually been more talk about this pedal.

I at least look very much forward to trying it out.

This demo of it on bass sounds very promising (even if I wish he would have demonstrated a bit more cleanish/lightly overdriven mids heavy settings, since that Is what I count on be using it for) :

What are people who actually got this pedal already's experience with and verdict over it?

Does anyone use it as a cleanish/lightly overdriven preamp?

I've gathered from people on the internet that the Voice knob allegedly is supposed to work a little differently from how it works on the other pedals in this series, is there anything to that, and in what way exactly?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

Not got it yet. Spent my money unwisely, but it'll be happening soon.

That demo is amazing

Sucks...

Hope you get it soon.

And yeah, agree, as said, the demo sounds very promising, I am so much looking forward to get and try it out.

I planed on definitely getting one at some point anyway, but it was that demo that made me decide I couldn't let it wait any longer and that I absolutely had to order one immediately.

Should have mine sometime by around the middle/end of next week, since we run into the Easter holidays now.

I'll be sure to report back with my experience with it, as soon as I have had the chance to try it out properly.

• Like 1

Mine should be here at the end of next week. I have been using a JOYO British Sound that I modified to VT Bass specs with a few component tweeks, but the more I use it with my other pedals, the less I like it. Having listened a lot to the American sound demos on YouTube I think that might be closer to what I'm after, but the Oxford has a certain appeal since I do so love the Orange bass amps.

• Like 2