Why become a member? ×

Small powered sub speaker recommendations

Woodwind

One for PA owners I guess or those that work in sound etc

I have quite specific amplification needs for my upcoming shows.

They'll be electroacoustic, in-the-round performances in reasonably intimate spaces (20-70 capacity). Speakers set up spatially rather than backline.

I have my acoustic instrument and a Phil Jones double4 for my effects, another Double4 for tonal samples and another amp for drum samples.

I have a dedicated sub signal from my Mantic Hulk that when in conventional stage/audience PA based spaces has it's own channel in the mixer.

However there is no PA for my new, quieter shows so I'll need a small sub.

I'm looking at powered speakers.

As these are quiet shows it's entirely possible a regular powered PA speaker would be enough for these extra lows when they occur, but I thought I'd ask here if anyone has experience with small Subs.

I'm looking at borrowing a domestic HI-Fi sub to see if it's powerful enough, otherwise I'd be hiring something. It needs to be small for transport purposes.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Edited by Woodwind

I agree with Bill. Domestic subs, even quite powerful ones, won't cut it in a larger space. Good subs are also expensive (cheap ones sound vague and tend to suffer from one note bass). Given that your PJB stuff will sound clean, you'd need something decent to complement it, which means not cheap. I'd be thinking of hiring if it's only for a one-off series of shows and you're not likely to need it again in the foreseeable.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2021 at 15:43, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

I doubt if you need a sub based on your audience capacity. Home audio subs won't work, they lack the sensitivity/output to work for PA.

Thanks Bill.

I only use my Hulk pedal at specific points in the music.

The effect is noticeable even on my monitor speakers and I would like to recreate this if possible live, but yes it won't be the same as a full on PA supported performance.

Edited by Woodwind

On 03/12/2021 at 17:32, Dan Dare said:

I agree with Bill. Domestic subs, even quite powerful ones, won't cut it in a larger space. Good subs are also expensive (cheap ones sound vague and tend to suffer from one note bass). Given that your PJB stuff will sound clean, you'd need something decent to complement it, which means not cheap. I'd be thinking of hiring if it's only for a one-off series of shows and you're not likely to need it again in the foreseeable.

I think I'll try at a rehearsal space just using a powered PA cab on the sub output.

As I said to Bill above the effect is noticeable even on monitors.

However I could well believe a domestic sub won't be worth experimenting with, so thank you for that pointer.

Normally I play in venues with PA systems where the moments when the sub pedal comes in are glorious, but this run of shows are very much in a chamber music vein.

I'd like to retain the musical aspect of the octave down coming in, but I could probably lose the "air sucked out of the room" that proper sub array delivers.

Cheers

Thomas

3 hours ago, Woodwind said:

I think I'll try at a rehearsal space just using a powered PA cab on the sub output.

I think that may well work well. It appears you're not looking for huge volumes. That's an assumption, based on the fact that you are looking to augment small PJB combos. I'm a PJB fan and user, btw. I have several of his 4x5 cabs, which I like very much. You could think about trying a C4 with a suitable amp as your sub'. That will certainly give you good quality bass. I have even tried my C4s as subs (with a suitable crossover and amp) to augment my home hi-fi and they worked very nicely. However, any clean powered PA cab should to it, too.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I think that may well work well. It appears you're not looking for huge volumes. That's an assumption, based on the fact that you are looking to augment small PJB combos. I'm a PJB fan and user, btw. I have several of his 4x5 cabs, which I like very much. You could think about trying a C4 with a suitable amp as your sub'. That will certainly give you good quality bass. I have even tried my C4s as subs (with a suitable crossover and amp) to augment my home hi-fi and they worked very nicely. However, any clean powered PA cab should to it, too.

I'm a bit of a phil jones fanboi to be honest.

I love the sound and aesthetic.

I discovered them while I was still playing the double bass and have stayed with them for amplifying my woodwind instruments.

If I had the money I'd already be using a third double4 for this sort of playing environment and I really like your idea of using a C4 as a sub!

• Like 1