Why become a member? ×

The ten best Bassists in the world in 2021.

Mickyk

I think that these types of list are a load of rubbish, and will maintain that view until such time as I find a list which features my favourite bassist at number one . At which point I’ll start a thread on Basschat to tirelessly argue the absolute truth of said list.

Edited by Nail Soup
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Mickyk said:

Yes I'm afraid so ,when you've sold 100 million records worldwide over a 40 year career you must be doing something right ,on that score alone he deserves to be number one

André Rieu has sold more records than Yehudi Menuhin and Stéphane Grappelli put together, so he's obviously a better violinist than either of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, tauzero said:

André Rieu has sold more records than Yehudi Menuhin and Stéphane Grappelli put together, so he's obviously a better violinist than either of them.

I have no idea who any of them are. They all have names I can't pronounce so I assume they play the soccer ball 

19 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Mario Duplantier has won every best metal drummer thing I've seen this year. Deservedly so, what he's doing is just incredible. 

I'm primarily a drummist and though I mainly play funk style I'm still a huge fan of metal drummers. Duplantier's a beast behind the kit as are other players  active in 2021 like Mike Mangini, Brann Dailor, Art Cruz, Matt Garskta, Matt Halpern, Tomas Haake and Jay Weinberg. These guys cr@p all over the others in that other list from a great height. 

I know Mario Duplantier and Brann Dailor have both spent a lot of time learning to play jazz drums in order to become better metal drummers. 

Metal drummers have really been raising their standards in recent years. Danny Carey used to be in a whole different world to anyone else in metal but I think there's a few on his level now.

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I know Mario Duplantier and Brann Dailor have both spent a lot of time learning to play jazz drums in order to become better metal drummers. 

Metal drummers have really been raising their standards in recent years. Danny Carey used to be in a whole different world to anyone else in metal but I think there's a few on his level now.

For sure, you've also got seasoned pros like Chris Adler who's sort of retired I think  and then some fine players from the prog world. I'm no fan of prog but I watch a lot of YT vids featuring Mike Portnoy and Marco Minnemann along with Carey. The power and stamina of modern metal  / prog drummers is astonishing.

18 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I guess Gojira and Mastadon are both kind of prog.

I do like Gojira. They've got something a bit different about them.  I guess you've heard of Cryptopsy if metal's your bag. Flo Mounier is another beast behind the kit. Check this out, especially his high speed one-handed rolls on the snare!

13 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I do like Gojira. They've got something a bit different about them.  I guess you've heard of Cryptopsy if metal's your bag. Flo Mounier is another beast behind the kit. Check this out, especially his high speed one-handed rolls on the snare!

I'm not familiar with them. Holy crap that dude can play. He's got the tricks and can put the in to a nice groove as well. 

10 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Holy crap that dude can play. He's got the tricks and can put the in to a nice groove as well. 

He can definitely play! However, the only evidence of an actual groove that didn't sound like a machine gun (and machine guns are most certainly not groovy, man!) was when he slowed down a bit at the end... 

But then I'm more of a fan of yer aksherl grooves, more Stubblefield than Lombardo...

7 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

He can definitely play! However, the only evidence of an actual groove that didn't sound like a machine gun (and machine guns are most certainly not groovy, man!) was when he slowed down a bit at the end... 

But then I'm more of a fan of yer aksherl grooves, more Stubblefield than Lombardo...

The main inspirations for my drumming are the likes of Stubblefield, Zigaboo,  Garibaldi, Starks, Purdie, Harvey Mason and Mike Clark. I'm much more into the groove too than pummelling people's heads in. That said I'm a sucker for those players who do play that style.  I love blast beats, which I know for some drummers equate to slap, for the majority of BCers.

If clickbait made sense, no-one would click the links. They need to have something stupid, but which can be argued for, in order to get people engaged, clicking and sharing. Clicks make money, quality content is an expense.

Now, where did I put my Top-Ten Top-Ten lists?