Why become a member? ×

The ten best Bassists in the world in 2021.

Mickyk

4 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Will Lee, Nathan East, Sean Hurley, Chris Chaney, Jimmie Lee Sloas, Steve Pearce.......to name a few. All of them have played on more big selling albums than John Taylor. Or do they not count because they are first call session players rather than band guys? 

Come on @Doddy, play the game 😂

191zuj.thumb.jpg.9a8f8d31e9d4b1427d7c836eaf02c4c3.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doddy said:

Will Lee, Nathan East, Sean Hurley, Chris Chaney, Jimmie Lee Sloas, Steve Pearce.......to name a few. All of them have played on more big selling albums than John Taylor. Or do they not count because they are first call session players rather than band guys? 

John Taylor would come before all these others as they are not commercially as well known, maybe with the exception of Nathan East, because of Taylors exposure with both  Duran Duran, and his Facebook series last year  would make him number one in 2021 without a doubt fella.

• Haha 1

I never really get involved or pay heed to these lists.

what’s a best player?
Someone who can play faster than everyone else, someone who plays on more records or someone who has the best bass face? 
we all continue to learn and grow but I think there’s a point where it comes down to taste and style of the voter non of whom holds the same opinion as the next man in the 1-10 list 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

So because he was there first he was the best bassist in 2021? What utter horse poop

Yes I'm afraid so ,when you've sold 100 million records worldwide over a 40 year career you must be doing something right ,on that score alone he deserves to be number one

1 minute ago, Mickyk said:

when you've sold 100 million records

The band as a group have sold 100 million records, I’m not knocking him I always thought him a good bass player but put him on his own releasing bass heavy albums and he wouldn’t have the title. 

Just now, Bunion said:

The band as a group have sold 100 million records, I’m not knocking him I always thought him a good bass player but put him on his own releasing bass heavy albums and he wouldn’t have the title. 

Of course not ,him being number one who happens to be in a world famous band go hand in hand fella.

6 minutes ago, Mickyk said:

Yes I'm afraid so ,when you've sold 100 million records worldwide over a 40 year career you must be doing something right ,on that score alone he deserves to be number one

By your logic, Paul McCartney, Nate Mendel and probably dozens of others are better because they've sold even more records. 

14 minutes ago, Mickyk said:

Of course not ,him being number one who happens to be in a world famous band go hand in hand fella.

In that case the beach boys who also sold 100 million + records but most often relied on session players to record the actual records should also be number 1 well actually carol Kaye maybe who actually recorded a lot of the bass lines 

3 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

It's almost as big a ? eh? as their top 10 rock drummers which has the kid from Greta van Fleet at #1 and then there's a whole load of minor players in the rest of the list .Guess MR's been polling 14 year old bedroom dwellers.

Mario Duplantier has won every best metal drummer thing I've seen this year. Deservedly so, what he's doing is just incredible. 

It's an interesting list, as they always are when voted for by the public. Nice to see Lee Sklar making it onto the list. Not overly sure about Wolfgang VH being in there, but in fairness, I know very little about his playing and for all I know, he could be incredible.

21 minutes ago, ern500evo said:

These polls are nonsense. How can he be number 1 in 2021, but it be based on stuff he’s done over 40 years?? 

Quite. Lee Sklar and Alex Webster are great players who have been ‘doing the rounds’ for years too, what is it about their 2021 activities that make them stand out now? 

These things are so subjective as to be almost meaningless. Best thing is to take them as a little bit of fun and not much more. 

(‘Fun’ also being subjective 😂)

• Haha 1