Why become a member? ×

The ten best Bassists in the world in 2021.

Mickyk

52 minutes ago, Mickyk said:

But if your name was on the list ,then you would have different opinion .John Taylor has to be the number one bassist simply because he has been the most successful player over the year of 2021,but agreed the others are also rans.

I’m afraid not. If I was on one of these lists I’d be surprised flattered and probably confused by my inclusion, I suspect he may think the same. 
I don’t follow many current bands and nothing that would bring me across John Taylor or Duran Duran accidentally so as an average music lover I still cannot recall anything of note during 2021, let alone being best of anything - unless there’s a specific Being John Taylor category. I’ve nothing against him either.

I’m sorry I’m starting to think I’m replying to JT (Although I doubt he’d give a monkeys) or this is the latest Rickroll. 

Edited by Dazed

Market researcher: Name ten famous bass guitar players
Non-bass playing public: What's a bass guitar?

MR: It's the big guitar. The guitar that's bigger than the other ones.
NBPP: Why didn't you say so?
MR: Name ten famous big guitar players
NBPP: That's easy. Paul McCartney
MR: ...and?
NBPP: Sting? He plays the big guitar doesn't he?
MR: ...and?
NBPP: Freddie Mercury?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

This isn't a list of the best bassists. It's a list of famous bassists in popular bands who play some interesting bass parts.

They always ignore bassists who don't play anything fancy but hold together a band with absolutely solid timing, interesting rhythm and clever playing which is there to support the lead instruments and vocals. 

Edited by SteveXFR
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Mickyk said:

He's not just mine ,he's millions of others too, in terms of success and popularity over the last two years he is the number one p[layer whether you like that fact or not fella.

Define success? I'm sure there are a load of bassists who have played on more big selling albums over the last year. I would class them as being more successful than John Taylor.

So - did they lock them all in a room with their basses so they'd use them to bludgeon each other unconscious? And the last one left standing was the winner?

Or was it 'ten random bass players some of our readers might have heard of'?

I've just rolled my eyes so hard I've currently got a great view of my own occipital lobe.

11 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

How can John Taylor be the best bassist in the world when he hasn't done anything for years? 

I don't know most of these bassists and in about 10 years time nobody will have heard of them...

BTW none of my top ten are on the list.

Good point Mick, JT is still an awesome  bass player but all the great bass lines he plays are nearly 40 years old.

• Like 1

These things are always very subjective. If you’re a jazzer your top 10 will no doubt feature loads of jazz players. If you’re a metal fan it’ll be metal bassists.

My #1 of 2021 is Michael Manring who most bassists dislike. He released a fabulous album this year - his first album for ages.

John Myung is still brilliant. Arran McSporran plays some beautiful fretless lines on the new Utopia album.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

How can John Taylor be the best bassist in the world when he hasn't done anything for years? 

I don't know most of these bassists and in about 10 years time nobody will have heard of them...

BTW none of my top ten are on the list.

They did release a new album this year. It's very average. Not a single big song of the standard they used to make.

For 2021 I'd have Troy Sanders, Ben Chisholm and Jean Michelle-Labadie in the top 10. All have new records released this year with excellent sounding bass. They aren't individually famous but that doesn't stop them being extremely good. 

58 minutes ago, Mickyk said:

Feel free to name them fella.

Will Lee, Nathan East, Sean Hurley, Chris Chaney, Jimmie Lee Sloas, Steve Pearce.......to name a few. All of them have played on more big selling albums than John Taylor. Or do they not count because they are first call session players rather than band guys?