Why become a member? ×

The ten best Bassists in the world in 2021.

Mickyk

Lists like this are quite fun if only for introducing me to Dirty Loops and highlighting Lee Rocker's trip across America in an airstream.

I'm biased here, but for me there's never enough mention of upright jazz players. My shout would go to Nick Blacka from Gogo Penguin for their approach to micro-compositional playing.

Edited by Boodang

42 minutes ago, Mickyk said:

Totally  agree with the Number one, without a doubt..? Who's your number one.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/best-bassists-2021?fbclid=IwAR1fT3U2SWe_yOusvDk30Le1DAtSQwL1ZQvuE9CQji1-pNUjmf_oxJc_SQw

You agree that John Taylor is the best bassist in the world for the year 2021?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

There's an interesting interview with John Taylor in bass player this month... hasn't convinced me he's the best bass player in the world for '21.

Still, makes for interesting lighthearted debate though!

9 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Oh, just noticed/ read that JT has been given Bass Players lifetime achievement award... they also mentioned the 'over 100 million' albums sold, so maybe that's a factor?!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Boodang said:

There's an interesting interview with John Taylor in bass player this month... hasn't convinced me he's the best bass player in the world for '21.

Still, makes for interesting lighthearted debate though!

5 minutes ago, Boodang said:

Oh, just noticed/ read that JT has been given Bass Players lifetime achievement award... they also mentioned the 'over 100 million' albums sold, so maybe that's a factor?!

I love John Taylor. I think he's a great guy and I've had enormous pleasure listen to and playing Duran Duran songs for decades, but, I wouldn't put him in the top ten of any year - let alone 2021.

I do wonder what the criteria is. Do they just have to be alive? Or must they have gigged or released material in 2021?

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 6

Such a random list of people thrown together. Sure some of them are interesting stories but how some them are rated in 2021 doesn’t make much sense to me. 
Then again these lists are as irrelevant to anything, as much as my opinions on such matters are. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dazed said:

Such a random list of people thrown together. Sure some of them are interesting stories but how some them are rated in 2021 doesn’t make much sense to me. 
Then again these lists are as irrelevant to anything, as much as my opinions on such matters are. 

But if your name was on the list ,then you would have different opinion .John Taylor has to be the number one bassist simply because he has been the most successful player over the year of 2021,but agreed the others are also rans.

1 hour ago, Drax said:

I guess if JT is your number one player in 2021, he's probably your number one every year regardless. 

He's not just mine ,he's millions of others too, in terms of success and popularity over the last two years he is the number one p[layer whether you like that fact or not fella.

• Haha 1