Why become a member? ×

Going To The Garden To Eat Worms

stewblack

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

I've thought for a long time that no one gets us. The time and money we throw at the bass and no one cares, or has a clue what we do or why. . . .

It's not a problem if the audience doesn't notice or appreciate what I do, my job is to make the band want me. I get all my gigs by word of mouth, so every note, every space is important. There are always better players around, you can't escape that, you just have to try and bring something extra to the table. The time I put into it is for the band, the money I spend is for me.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, stewblack said:

It's not that I think they won't notice any difference, it's the thought that they're prepared to waste all that time and money rehearsing with me in the first place if I'm that unimportant

If they think its unimportant, but can notice the difference then whats the point of the band?  is it to make money? is it to put out songs you are proud of? or is it just fun?  

Whichever way, it sucks, but like I say they may notice after the dep has done it, that its not the way forward in future for them.  

I've depped in bands (as a bass player, and I am one) and the point is making money so they dep with whoever is available and can reasonably play (its often a guitarist).  I have also started depping in a band who havent had a bass dep in their 10 year history because they wont settle for just anyone.  I know which band I'd book as a punter, or join as a full time member, and it wouldnt be option 1.

24 minutes ago, Trueno said:

I long ago decided that, with the bass, you can play any notes you like as long as you stay in time… and nobody notices.

Is that true?  Certainly, it feels like it at times.  Last nice, I was rubbish at my rehearsal, but others thought it wonderful.   I was careful to play in time, but the chord charts were clearly wrong and thus, my note choices were too.  However, nobody seemed to notice.

I know the feeling. In one of the bands I'm in, if the budget from any potential booking is too tight, they immediately offer themselves out as a four piece without me, with the keys player covering the bass.

Ultimately I have just decided f**k it, I'll turn up when I'm told and not worry about anything else. Kinda whizzed me off a couple of weeks ago when the guitarist refused to play because of water on the stage though, as I guarantee he'll have been paid the same as I was even though he just turned up and moaned, whilst I got on with it.

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, jonnybass said:

compare bass players to goalies

I reckon more like a centre-back or something, in that the non-footballing public have a reasonable understanding of what the goalie’s role is, even if they underestimate the importance. In that sense the drummer is the goalie.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Merton said:

I know the feeling. In one of the bands I'm in, if the budget from any potential booking is too tight, they immediately offer themselves out as a four piece without me, with the keys player covering the bass.

This is horrible

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Merton said:

Ultimately I have just decided f**k it, I'll turn up when I'm told and not worry about anything else. Kinda whizzed me off a couple of weeks ago when the guitarist refused to play because of water on the stage though, as I guarantee he'll have been paid the same as I was even though he just turned up and moaned, whilst I got on with it.

Dude if you were a kid at my school I'd have just dragged you into my office to talk about self respect. 

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jack said:

Dude if you were a kid at my school I'd have just dragged you into my office to talk about self respect. 

Believe me, I’ve had a lot of conflicting thoughts over the years and my wife is probably sick of me questioning the whole thing with her! The dynamic of the band is kinda complicated so I’ve gone down the route of taking what I’m given but I’m not sure it’s going to have much of a medium/long term future for me.

I’ve played bass for about 35 years now (off and on). Yes we are generally the unsung heroes/glue that keeps it all together/insert cliche of your choice here but it’s up to you decide who you are and how you play your instrument. I’m quite a busy player. Reflects my personality. Fast thinker and talker. Playing slow blues is like water torture to me so guess what, I don’t do it. I’m a bad fit for that. You have to find the style and group members that fit you best. Over the last 6 months or so of gigging I’m getting let’s of great compliments and lots more opportunities. I recently spent ages practicing really hard for a function band. Surprisingly (to my ego) I didn’t get it. But after a few days I realised I dodged a bullet because musically it wasn’t quite right and I’m a bit marmity and I’m guessing they don’t like savoury spread. 😂

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I thought it was:

./~ nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I think I'll go and eat worms ./~

I'm claiming regional differences. Nothing to do with bass parts crowding out kid song lyrics from that part of my brain...

A good bassist makes a band better by not standing out, at least in general terms. I’m not talking big major bands here, more re covers bands. I’ve seen some what would have been great covers bands where an “over clever” bassist, or one wanting to “cut through” has reduced them to being averagely listenable. Sadly our instrument of choice isn’t often the flash instrument of the band.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jonnybass said:

chin stroking

Tonight I am jumping in and barely holding up my jazz end. The guy who was lined up for the gig turned out to be antivax and the bar won't let him in. I got the call on Tuesday night.

The band is incredibly appreciative and don't seem to notice the bum note and clanger rate is awful. If there's any chin stroking going on it will be of the 'that ain't jazz' variety.

They are probably going to tell me turn up. Troubling to me there's a cover charge on the door to keep out riffraff non real jazz fans and pay the band.

Edited by Downunderwonder
  • Like 1

Having been a second guitarist in a rock band I found that role somewhat unnecessary and was mostly there for the lead guitarist to show off and solo.

When I swopped back to bass ( had been a bassist at the start in an originals rock band ) and joined a band I made sure it was made up of a trio of musicians Drums, Bass and Guitar. 
Now my role is crucial as it is in many power trios and I love it as we all have a major contribution to the final band sound.

Will the audience notice ? I guess not as they will be focusing on the singer and the guitar solos but I will be happy to be part of the finished product. 

Edited by BassAdder27

15 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

Is that true?  Certainly, it feels like it at times.  Last nice, I was rubbish at my rehearsal, but others thought it wonderful.   I was careful to play in time, but the chord charts were clearly wrong and thus, my note choices were too.  However, nobody seemed to notice.

That's jazz, man.

I'm used to it.  Our drummer does a bit of bass as well and is quite happy to advise me on technique. 'I play it on the open E, you know... like this'.  Previous drummer was no better: Me "Hey Chris, any issues with my playing you want to air?" Him [look of bemusement] "Dunno, never listen to you." 

Edited by lownote
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

I’ve played bass for about 35 years now (off and on). Yes we are generally the unsung heroes/glue that keeps it all together/insert cliche of your choice here but it’s up to you decide who you are and how you play your instrument. I’m quite a busy player. Reflects my personality. Fast thinker and talker. Playing slow blues is like water torture to me so guess what, I don’t do it. I’m a bad fit for that. You have to find the style and group members that fit you best. Over the last 6 months or so of gigging I’m getting let’s of great compliments and lots more opportunities. I recently spent ages practicing really hard for a function band. Surprisingly (to my ego) I didn’t get it. But after a few days I realised I dodged a bullet because musically it wasn’t quite right and I’m a bit marmity and I’m guessing they don’t like savoury spread. 😂

Citee boy can pick and choose.  Where I am deep in Ease Tanglia there's a handful of bands within 2500 square miles and empty bass chairs are rare as hens' teeth.  What's more, if you cross someone (perhaps without even know it) just once the unwritten communal grudge sheet gets updated permanently.    

17 hours ago, jonnybass said:

I compare bass players to goalies, teams can win football matches with an ok goalie or sometimes even someone else as a sub, but there are a couple of times in a football match a great goalie shows his worth, a good set of songs is the same, there are usually times a great bass player shows his worth (usually signified by enthusiastic dancing/moshing/chin stroking*). I have been in the audience where the bass player has been a dep guitarist and it doesnt sound good (often signified by a lack of dancers/moshers/strokers).  Maybe after they play with the dep they will realise what you bring?  Joni summed it up well "you dont know what you've got til its gone"  

*jazz only

Love this analogy. A good goalie never forces themselves into the game either.... Just like a good bassist. Sometimes I listen to rehearsals and wince at myself playing fills a lot where they don't belong....

• Like 1