Why become a member? ×

What to do? SVT 7 Pro dilemma!!

dave74200

Hi all,

I've had a 7 Pro for a few years. It has failed on me 3 times, costing rough £200 a time to repair, taking its total cost up to roughly £1000. It has been at the repair shop for a year now and they've told me they will install a complete new revised board for £200, making it as new and totally reliable. As this is the 4th times it's needed repairing, would you go for that or just scrap it? Can't decide what to do!!!

Thanks for any help!

That's a tough one.

What's it worth as a going one?

Needing fixing 3 times previously doesn't speak well for the repairs.

You would have to wonder what else might be on the way out that isn't on the main board, but maybe nothing and they are correct that it will be better than new. £200 might be a good deal.

Still a fair chunk of  change. Other deal where they keep it and give you £100 off something you fancy?

Has it been the same fault recurring, or was it something different each time? If it’s been going back in for the same fault time and time again then I’d be having a bit of a word, if not then it’s a different story. Not sure that £600 (or £800) in repairs over 3 years is a cost effective piece of kit.

46 minutes ago, thodrik said:

If it has been at a shop for a year, I would just ask for it back and then attack the amp with a hammer in a fit of semi-cathartic rage or sell/give it away for parts. 

Plus contacting Ampeg and venting at them...

5 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Plus contacting Ampeg and venting at them...

Nah, just the hammer. Contacting Ampeg would just lead to queries of ‘was the amp in warranty?’ or ‘was the repair carried out by an authorised service centre’ that would just cause further frustration.

Hammer and done for me. 

• Thanks 1

It's appaulling how many Pauls are on this site!! :)

More seriously, were all the repairs done at the same place? Were the faults the same each time? If so I would be having a conversation with the service manager.

I would contact Ampeg and ask their advice. You won't be any worse off than you are now and they might well offer you suggestions for going forward.

• Thanks 1

Reading this thread makes me glad I choose to use Ashdown amps. Great sounding amps, which can be fixed at Ashdown HQ (in the unlikely event they develop problems) which is about an hours drive, coupled with excellent customer service. 

I had an SVT-7 that died during the first song of a gig. Sent it back, got it fixed, and immediately sold it on. Bought an Ashdown Rootmaster RM-800 instead which was utterly reliable and somewhat similar in character. 

Shame - when it worked, it sounded fantastic, but they've been plagued by problems ever since they came out. Supposedly Ampeg have a handle on it now, but I still can't bring myself to buy another one. I can't trust them anymore.

I'm using a Mesa Subway WD-800 now that gives me that valve preamp tone that I loved in the Ampeg, and it hasn't failed me yet. 

I have used these for the last 8 years or so.

Before that I used Ampeg pre with a Class D Powerlight so I was familiar with class D and the risks involved, but the weight saving makes it worth it for me.

Not long after the SVT7 warranty expired the amp developed a fault.

I contacted Polar and they recommended Rob Huckin at Audio Circus.

Rod made the repair at very reasonable price while I waited.

The amp has done hundreds of gigs since then without a hitch.

I think the main problem people have with class D repairs is finding an engineer that knows what they are doing.

i was lucky. Rob knew exactly what the fault was and even had a replacement part in stock.

Still using the same  SVT7 paired with a BF Compact.

Great combo for most gigs.

But if I had a roadie I would use a classic :)