Why become a member? ×

Hohner B Bass

Rayman

So I just bought a Hohner b bass, I know nothing about them, it looks like a cool bass, and the reviews were pretty good (I'll always research a bass before I buy it).

I'm picking it up tomorrow and I'll report back with initial impressions,  I just wondered if anyone knows anything about them? 

Which model, they're very different?  I've had many.

The B Bass 6 is a gorgeous instrument, tiny, light and well proportioned for a 6, with a thru neck of varying wood quality.  Some basses are quite plain, others wouldn't look out of line in a row of Foderas.

They're well made, play great with a nice thin neck.  The only slight issue is that the bridge isn't quite woman enough for all those strings so it curls up 1/2 a mm or so at the ball end. But they still hold their tune and it doesn't usually get worse.

The B Bass 5 is a rather different shape and generally not as nice or well made as the 6 in my experience, but YMMV.

The B Bass 4 is like the 5 but rather nicer.  Pretty and light, it's a great bass with lovely tone, in my experience let down by the weird drop D bridge lever which I never quite got sorted, but it was a 'rescue bass'.

For the money you're getting a lot of bass whichever model. I wouldn't pay more than £250.    Good luck finding spares!!

Coupla sample vids, 4 and 6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Juo-y0craU and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T3YD9t45HA

Edited by lownote
  • Like 1

It's a B Bass 4, with the Steinberger drop D thing. Through neck, etc in red. I'll post some pictures later....

I've paid £175, so I'm happy with that. I was looking for a 5er, so if I like this 4 string version I might look for a 5 or even 6 if I can find one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rayman said:
15 minutes ago, lownote said:

"Which model, they're very different?  I've had many."

It's a B Bass 4, with the Steinberger drop D thing. Through neck, etc in red. I'll post some pictures later....

I've paid £175, so I'm happy with that. I was looking for a 5er, so if I like this 4 string version I might look for a 5 or even 6 if I can find one.

About the right price if it's in good nick.  The 5 is as rare as hen's teeth, but not really worth chasing in my opinion.  The 6 comes on sale here or eBay (usually) about one a four month.

5 minutes ago, lownote said:

About the right price if it's in good nick.  The 5 is as rare as hen's teeth, but not really worth chasing in my opinion.  The 6 comes on sale here or eBay (usually) about one a four month.

Cool, well a 6er is on the want list, it's been years since I had one, so we'll see what happens with this one.

I had a 4 in natural.

Shouldn't have sold it…

I have a neck/body sanded back to nothing as the finish was all scratched…

The electronics were all goosed too; I keep meaning to finish it. It is in a mates house currently as he was going to spray it - think he got some primer on it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rayman said:

I'm guessing that the pickups might be a bit weak, being the EMG selects? Might be an option to upgrade those.

This, the pickups (and preamp) are budget units and definitely of their time. Cort like paying for a license to slap a brand name on in house parts and the electronics are the weak point. You don't need to spend much either, I replaced the Selects in my Hohner with Duncan Designed J units and they sound much better, I quite liked the Select P pickup I had though.

• Like 1

I had one, great thing.  AFAIAA they are part of the same family as the Jack and the B2 brigade - with or without headstock/body, electrics varied, some had the drop tuner but overalll they were pretty much the same beast and all of a decent quality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

This, the pickups (and preamp) are budget units and definitely of their time. Cort like paying for a license to slap a brand name on in house parts and the electronics are the weak point. You don't need to spend much either, I replaced the Selects in my Hohner with Duncan Designed J units and they sound much better, I quite liked the Select P pickup I had though.

Yeah I don't subscribe to the fact that all "budget" pickups suck, so I'll try them first. I had an old Robert DeLeo Schecter with "Duncan Designed" pickups in it.... they sounded fabulous. 

So I'll see how it sounds as it is before any upgrades

• Like 1

Always liked the look of the B Bass - it's basically a Hohner Jack with a headstock, & the Bs tend to be somewhat cheaper than their decapitated brethren.

Not sure how long they were around for but late 80s/90s Hohners were made by Cort and tend to be uniformly top quality.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bassassin said:

Always liked the look of the B Bass - it's basically a Hohner Jack with a headstock, & the Bs tend to be somewhat cheaper than their decapitated brethren.

Not sure how long they were around for but late 80s/90s Hohners were made by Cort and tend to be uniformly top quality.

They have a slightly wider nut than a Jack in my experience. 

• Like 2

Well, I just picked it up....

Initially it feels quality, heavy? I thought it'd be light, but I prefer some weight. Solid thing, and a quick sound test at the sellers house showed it has some power. Full setup with new strings when I get home, looking forward to it

2 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

I had a Hohner Jack with EMG Select pickups.  I accidentally ruined the preamp so swapped it for a Ki0gon loom - pickups sounded great!

Yeah, or maybe a U retro.... we'll see after new strings and a setup tomorrow. 

The EQ is Vol/Vol/tone - bass/treble yes? 

Total setup later, straightened the neck, lowered the action, new D'Addario strings, switch cleaner, oiled fretboard..... etc.....

It's a beast. Plays beautifully, sounds massive. I've had to lower the pentometer output as it was almost as in your face as my Spector Euro 5 used to be. 

It's a fabulous thing, very modern sounding, punchy, and weirdly, turned to passive, sounds quite P bass like.

Love it. Total bargain.

IMG_20211204_132108_276.jpg

IMG_20211204_132031_400.jpg

• Like 11