Why become a member? ×

Knebworth '79

Boodang

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

He gets around a bit! I saw him with Little Stevie and the Disciples of Soul back in 83.

Me too, at a club in Newcastle, The Mayfair? They got back together recently to do a couple of great albums, 'Soulfire and 'Summer of Sorcery',. They toured the UK to promote of them, and released live albums from both.  I had the good fortune to see them a couple of times each tour, in 2017 and 2019.  Steve has a new book out too which is great, 'Unrequited Infatuations', and we went to one of the official book launches where Steve was on great form.

As you've probably guessed, I'm a massive fan.....😆

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boodang said:

I remember the new album hadn't been released in time for the gig. Anybody here a fan of 'in through the out door'? There does seem to be a lot of dodgy guitar work on it, especially the intro to hot dog, which if I remember correctly was terrible played live. Seemed a bit of a scrappy album, were led zep on their way down by then? 

Page was by all accounts on a bit of a downward heroin spiral at the time and the band was starting to fall apart. I would love to have seen them at Earl's Court in 75, when they were at their peak. 

I remember the new album hadn't been released in time for the gig. Anybody here a fan of 'in through the out door'? There does seem to be a lot of dodgy guitar work on it, especially the intro to hot dog, which if I remember correctly was terrible played live. Seemed a bit of a scrappy album, were led zep on their way down by then? 

Page was by all accounts on a bit of a downward heroin spiral at the time and the band was starting to fall apart. I would love to have seen them at Earl's Court in 75, when they were at their peak. 

27 minutes ago, peteb said:

I think that it has been pretty well documented that Page's drug use and Bonham's drinking had taken their toll by the time In Through The Out Door was recorded. 

I haven't read too much about that period but it certainly doesn't sound a very coordinated album. 

Mind you it sounds like JBs drinking was always an issue. I remember reading a story about journalists on tour with the band and they were told that sometimes JB might get violent when drunk but it was just something they had to put up with! No excuse for that behaviour no matter how talented and famous you are... although unfortunately it was his undoing in the end.

I was there. Must have been the 11th because I remember Chas and Dave,  the New Barbarians, Keef's band.  I also recall Todd Rungdron nearly falling of a speaker stack he'd climbed and some bloke brought his newly married wife complete in a wedding dress to the show!  Of course I loved seeing Led Zeppelin,  eating Watermelon's always remind me.of that weekend.  Happy Days.

Edited by Urban Bassman

I would think Utopia would have been utopia for me. I was already in thru the out door with Zep and rock-in -general and listening to jazz, jazz-rock, fusion, and Todd from Nazz (my sister turned me on to them in '69) on.

I was in Boston@ Berserklee College of Money '78/'79 and they were telling me "you can't swing unless it's 4/4 or 3/4 so Frank Zappa and The Don Ellis Orchestra were OUT as far as THEY were concerned.

I left Berserklee and got a job as a dishwasher, put a band together that did originals and covers of Zappa, Beefheart, The Tubes, and  BeBop Deluxe.

Never got return engagements...