Why become a member? ×

Knebworth '79

Boodang

Just now, Boodang said:

They were still good! I remember Led Zep played for about 3 hours.

yeah it did drag on a bit at the end as people were leaving - guess theres only so much stoned out of yer box guitar playing a crowd can stand 🤣 - however ...... i have still to this day, yet to see a bass and drums combo as formidable as JB/JPJ

14 minutes ago, steve-bbb said:

yeah it did drag on a bit at the end as people were leaving - guess theres only so much stoned out of yer box guitar playing a crowd can stand 🤣 - however ...... i have still to this day, yet to see a bass and drums combo as formidable as JB/JPJ

Agreed - main reason I went was to see Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes!

I was there on the 11th.

Took a mate from Liverpool who didn’t care for Zep apart from Stairway.

He got so p*ssed, he fell asleep half way through their set and missed them playing it.

I still have the program upstairs along with the one from 1978 (Genesis)

Edited by Skinnyman

Think I was there on the 4th, but Chas & Dave were definitely on the bill. They were low on the bill but were quality. Never saw the New Barbarians.

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes sounded a bit like Springsteen to me. What ever happened to them? Commander Cody were a bit meh for me.

Todd Rundgren's Utopia kept changing instruments. Kasim Sultan was playing drums originally IIRC but switched to bass and was awesome. They put on a real show and were maybe trying to upstage the main act, a bit like Lynyrd Skynyrd tried in '76 when the Stones headlined (and were on way late).

Zep were also on very late and a lot of folk left early because they ended up closing their set in the early hours. Planty kept blathering on about how deeply rooted in the blues their music was for some reason.

I was in the same band as Rick Allen before he joined Def Leppard and I thought he properly hammered the drums, but John Bonham was in another league altogether. He  just knocked the living hell out of his kit and never relented. His energy was unbelievable and he must have been knackered after every gig.

It wasn't exactly a luxury event either, bogs were just massive pits dug in the ground with an old sack to protect the sitter's modesty. You don't get gigs like that anymore. All mod cons eh?

• Like 1

I was 9 at the time so probably wouldn't have been allowed in even if I'd wanted to go. Took my new (at the time) girlfriend to Sonisphere 2014 as for some inexplicable reason she likes Metallica who headlined there. At least for me there was Gary Numan and Chas n' Dave. 35 years on they were still bang on the money and by far the best thing there.

Edited by Barking Spiders

I still have that programme in a box in a cupboard somewhere. I went on the 4th and can barely remember any of it but I was so drunk and stoned I could barely remember it the day after. My main memory is of Todd Rundgren leaping up in the air and doing the splits. Led Zep's laser show was good too.

16 hours ago, Peejay said:

It wasn't exactly a luxury event either, bogs were just massive pits dug in the ground with an old sack to protect the sitter's modesty. You don't get gigs like that anymore. All mod cons eh?

They say that the cabbages grown in that field, were magnificent for years afterwards 🤣

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Peejay said:

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes sounded a bit like Springsteen to me. What ever happened to them?

Still live and kicking! Survived many line up changes , released many albums and still touring, mainly in the US.

They did / do have a strong Springsteen connection, coming from the Asbury Park area of New Jersey. Bruce wrote 

a lot of stuff for SSJ, as did E Street guitarist Steve Van Zandt who formed The Jukes in the mid 70's.

https://www.southsidejohnny.com/

• Thanks 1

JPJ & JB have always been a huge influence on my playing and Zep played so infrequently in the UK it was an exciting weekend. 

I was too young to catch them in 75 at Earl's Court so wasn't going to miss them at knebworth. My friend didn't come as he didn't like outdoor gigs and was going to wait until they played a venue.. a big mistake.

I remember the new album hadn't been released in time for the gig. Anybody here a fan of 'in through the out door'? There does seem to be a lot of dodgy guitar work on it, especially the intro to hot dog, which if I remember correctly was terrible played live. Seemed a bit of a scrappy album, were led zep on their way down by then? 

Certainly Robert Plant seems to have plenty more music in him but not so much Page, other than dodgy sound tracks to dodgy death wish movies, seems to be in an endless loop of remixes.