Why become a member? ×

Sterling by Musicman SUB bass HH

thebrig

I've mostly played P basses with a Jazz neck fitted because I prefer the narrower nut, but I'm now thinking of getting myself a Sterling by Musicman SUB bass HH to give myself something a bit different.

The specs state that the nut is 38mm, so if anyone owns one, I was wondering if you could give me your thoughts on how the neck plays, are they similar to a Jazz neck in both feel and playability?

Thanks.

Sterling by Musicman SUB bass HH.jpeg

1 hour ago, horrorshowbass said:

Rest assured mate, I'm a jazzer and the neck profile is lovely and playable. I have a full fat US stingray and I love the tone but not the neck so much (41mm) Had the sub ray4 too, lovely neck. You'll not be dissapointed

👍 Thanks for heads up, I might just treat myself to an early Xmas present. 🎄

1 hour ago, Machines said:

I'd have bought one of these already, if it weren't for the giant bridge plate. There seems to be a significant lack of aftermarket replacements also (I know Retrovibe did some, but are long gone).

How often are you really going to look at the big plate? Put a Ray34 preamp in it and you're golden 

14 hours ago, Machines said:

I'd have bought one of these already, if it weren't for the giant bridge plate. There seems to be a significant lack of aftermarket replacements also (I know Retrovibe did some, but are long gone).

To be honest, I never even noticed the bridge plate, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, and if I was to replace it with a smaller plate, there is always the chance that the outline of the larger plate would be pressed into the paintwork.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, thebrig said:

Do any of you know if replacement pick guards are available anywhere for the Sterling HH version? I've done a few searches and haven't found any yet, or would the Ernie Ball guards fit?

I would guess they don't fit (on purpose) - the 5 string definitely doesn't as pickup shape and lower section is different.

5 minutes ago, Machines said:

I would guess they don't fit (on purpose) - the 5 string definitely doesn't as pickup shape and lower section is different.

I could use the guard it comes with as a template and have one made I guess 🤔