Why become a member? ×

Advice appreciated please...

dclaassen

Okay, I have tried becoming a 5-string player, but, despite the advantages in some music, I do so much better with 4, especially jamming and gigging...it just feels better, and my hand tends to just move to where it needs to be. This does not happen with the 5. Here's the thing...I have my MPV-5 (blurry photo on my profile)  that, despite being pretty beat up, is an outstanding instrument. I will eventually offer it up in trade for the right USA Jazz bass. I used to play a 63 jazz, and loved everything about that instrument. Okay-my question is, should I do the needed repairs and cosmetics to the bass now, and get more money, or let the next owner fix it up as they want it? It plays great as it is, but has dings on the neck, and needs some rewiring to be fully functional. I personally don't care about any of the dents, scratches, and neck dings. 

I look forward to hearing opinions...

If you're selling as a "needs work" then the price obviously has to reflect that. Personally I'd want to get the electronics fixed before selling, but leave the rest as it's mojo. People pay a lot for new basses with fake mojo so having real mojo isn't a bad thing to the right buyer :)

• Like 1

I would fix the electronics or any technical issue (faulty jack, cracky pots etc) before selling a bass so the buyer knows he/she  will have no unknown extra costs and I will have a peace of mind knowing I sold a fully functional instrument .

I would not touch the dents and cosmetic issues - let the new owner decide if there is anything to be done to them.

• Like 2

Normally, I would agree with this, but Pedulla basses came with proprietary Bartolini pickups and preamps. There is a decision as to whether to replace any preamp system with the original or, as has been suggested to me by Bartolini, use a newer version of the onboard preamp. If an owner wants it "as original", then that would be a deal-breaker. BTW, it sounds really good as is...just does not have good response from the bridge pickup (it's a PJ setup). 

3 hours ago, dclaassen said:

Okay, I have tried becoming a 5-string player, but, despite the advantages in some music, I do so much better with 4, especially jamming and gigging...it just feels better, and my hand tends to just move to where it needs to be. This does not happen with the 5.

Depends why you want to become a 5 string player. If you're giving up on a 5 string bass because it doesn't feel "normal" then you haven't given it enough time or effort.

If you are a 4 string player, a 4 string bass will feel "normal" and the 5 won't. What you have to do (if you are serious) is to put your 4 string basses away and play the 5 until it becomes your new normal. then you can play either with no problem.

• Like 3

I tried to convert to 5ers several times without success before locking away all my 4 string basses and concentrated on the 5ers. 

Since you are more adept with 4 strings you will almost certainly pick up a 4 string to practice. This will only hold your conversion back.

If you are committed to learning on a 5 then lock away the 4s.

Oh, BTW do all the repairs that are required to the Ped. Your buyer will appreciate being able to plug and go.

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

Depends why you want to become a 5 string player. If you're giving up on a 5 string bass because it doesn't feel "normal" then you haven't given it enough time or effort.

If you are a 4 string player, a 4 string bass will feel "normal" and the 5 won't. What you have to do (if you are serious) is to put your 4 string basses away and play the 5 until it becomes your new normal. then you can play either with no problem.

It took me a while to learn never to put any context to my threads, as to avoid having to spend time discussing decisions I had already made and actions I had already taken.

You have a point there, Ricky. My tipping point regarding moving back to a 4 was when I started playing more, my right hand was not feeling good at all. Plus, I got along just fine for over 45 years with a 4.

My decision rests on how much to do to the MPV. In my opinion, it’s giggable as is, and worth the price of a pretty nice USA Jazz Bass. We will see, though.