Why become a member? ×

Filling out the sound with no rhythm guitar

BillyBass

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

My view is embrace the space and alter the arrangement until it works. No pedals / tone changes will help if the arrangement is wrong for the instruments you have to work with.

Of course it's not really an either/or situation... some songs you can embrace the space, others might be fun to play around with pedals.... you could do 'walking on the moon' through an envelope filter with an octaver, some distortion and lots of echo!!

In my 3 piece I've used the Fishman pedal (that happy Jack gave a link to) with some success but you have to be a bit careful not to get too busy as it sometimes doesn't track all that well . For completely non-guitar sounds to accompany some songs I've been using the McMillen 12Step which has received some complimentary feedback from punters and the other band members appreciate the difference it makes. However this probably goes beyond what most would consider a 'pedal' in the usual sense and there are other threads devoted to midi pedals already.

• Like 1

Just now, MacDaddy said:

Nobody ever said Van Halen, or Black Sabbath, need another guitarist.

Have a listen to what they were doing as a bass/drums/guitar combo.

They didn't cover songs which were written for two guitarists though

Sabbath tuned low, had really dirty guitar and bass tunes and summoned the devil to create a wall of sound.

• Like 1