Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic Spectradrive

Boodang

Got this recently so I could combine the Spectracomp with a 4 band eq and the fact it has an overdrive toneprint as well is a bonus. However.... 

When I'm just using the Spectracomp with the eq all set at 12 o'clock it doesn't sound neutral, not the same as just using a Spectracomp pedal on it's own. Is it because the eq controls don't have centre detents? Anyway, swapping between the two it's noticable. 

So, when my fretless goes through this I just want the comp, but when I switch to the fretted I roll off the treble and a bit of high mid. The eq is good, trouble is it doesn't seem to sound neutral when in theory it shouldn't be doing anything. 

Just wondered if anybody else felt the same / had the same issue as regards the neutrality, or lack of it.

The only solution is to use both the Spectracomp and spectradrive with an a/b switch but it sort of defeats the object of why I bought the spectradrive in the first place!

1 hour ago, NicoMcJ said:

Can’t you use the editor app to find out the EXACT settings on your spectracomp and then copy those exact settings to the spectra drive?

I don't think the Spectracomp settings is the issue as I've loaded the same toneprint on to both; I've using the Captain East on both. When you take the bypass off the spectradrive pedal it kicks in both the comp and eq. The comp seems to be working as I would expect the captain east toneprint to respond but I can't get the eq to sound flat.

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NicoMcJ said:

Can’t you use the editor app to find out the EXACT settings on your spectracomp and then copy those exact settings to the spectra drive?

In fact, to simplify the issue, if you turn the comp control full ccw (so in theory it has no effect) and put the eq controls at 12 o'clock (again in theory the eq should have no affect) then switch between bypass and on, the tone of bass changes. In theory there should be no difference but the pedal seems to have an inherent in-built tonal quality which is not neutral. 

• Like 1

On 02/12/2021 at 11:22, Boodang said:

In fact, to simplify the issue, if you turn the comp control full ccw (so in theory it has no effect) and put the eq controls at 12 o'clock (again in theory the eq should have no affect) then switch between bypass and on, the tone of bass changes. In theory there should be no difference but the pedal seems to have an inherent in-built tonal quality which is not neutral. 

Isn't this true of many preamps?  It will have a basic sound of it's own which you then tweak to build upon, so all knobs at 12:00 isn't necessarily the same flat response as bypassed.

I did try this pedal and liked the eq, compressor, aux in and headphones out, but couldn't get a good drive sound.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CliveT said:

Isn't this true of many preamps?  It will have a basic sound of it's own which you then tweak to build upon, so all knobs at 12:00 isn't necessarily the same flat response as bypassed.

I did try this pedal and liked the eq, compressor, aux in and headphones out, but couldn't get a good drive sound.

Yeah, I was just hoping the spectradrive would be neutral with the eq set flat but it doesn't appear to be the case. I found the same thing with the spark as well. The spectradrive has a great inherent tone though.