Why become a member? ×

December Composition Challenge

lurksalot

I've scrapped my original idea of a Cars/Groove is in the Heart mashup as my attempts at vocals were uniformly terrible...

But I've fiddled with a live desk recording from a recent gig of our cover of Penetration's "Don't Dictate", which also has a hint of "Word Up" just for fun!

Drums were a bit distorted so I added phaser and hoped, meanwhile everything else is as was, bar a bit of extra reverb on the vox and a light smattering of Ozone 9 and Neutron just to make it sound a bit less duff...

• Like 2

I have knocked something up which is very not safe for work so don't play this for your kids , well I guess it depends how old they are :lol:

A bit of a rush production wise, but very much in my usual take/stylee of this months challenge I think.

The Fugly Duckling 

Edited by lurksalot
  • Haha 5

Ok, here goes!

Don't do a lot of covers, but this has been on my to-do list for a while now, so good excuse to get it done.

It's a pretty straight cover of a pretty un-straight cover...............

Techy stuff:

DAW - Studio One, Drums - Bitsa drumkit with suitcase bass drum, carboot snare, gear4music tom and borrowed ride. Bass -Vantage , Guitar - Squire Tele, Mic - Shure SM58

• Like 3

Hello, Yuletide fans, here's my cover version for this month.

I've gone with a knockabout song from 1996 (25 years ago? Crikey O'Blimey!), Scooby Snacks by the Fun Lovin' Criminals who I saw a few times back in their heyday. And, seeing as I can't sing, Huey's spoken word delivery is something that I can get near to.

Was going to see them again on their tour a couple of months ago but the whole thing got cancelled and now it has been announced Huey has left the band, so that doesn't bode well for any future outings.

Violin bass, Epiphone guitar, cigar box guitar, Yamaha keys, Apogee+ mic and drums programmed using Hydrogen. All recorded with Wavepad and Audacity.

Merry Christmas!

• Like 5

This morning my DAW decided to get Christmas Eve off. It was my fault as I decided to click the update button then it f#cked off into the oblivion of the hard drive maze. 7 hours later and after a couple of tumblers of Scotch I retrieved it. Now , I feel a bit socially tired to mix/master the song. Anyway, hoping to contribute with my piece.

Update. So, this is a cover version of DP Boulevard's 'Point if View'. Not something I listen to, but I've recently heard it in the radio and thought why not to do something different.

Gear used , Played cheap drum kit I owned since May and practice once a weekish, Glyn John`s technique recording. ( I found this sounding best when using 4 mics)

Guitars were played through Amplitbe 4  for convenience. Bass was recorded  through a Fender bass combo , recorded with  AKG112 mic almost touching the speaker just of the centre.

Keys are Syntronik and Sample 4 played with midi Launchkey keyboards.

The rest , co called vocals, well....I need to work on those.

Edited by SH73
update
  • Like 5

It's not as finished as I wanted & the Mrs wanted to redo her vocal (she hates her voice, but I love it).  I'm fairly happy with what we've done so far & hope to get her singing more songs for me.

Edited as I felt the vocal was slightly on top of the song (rather than part of it).  Bass is a mix of synth and real, I played both parts.

Edited by xgsjx
  • Like 7

On 24/12/2021 at 19:59, xgsjx said:

It's not as finished as I wanted & the Mrs wanted to redo her vocal (she hates her voice, but I love it).  I'm fairly happy with what we've done so far & hope to get her singing more songs for me.

Edited as I felt the vocal was slightly on top of the song (rather than part of it).  Bass is a mix of synth and real, I played both parts.

where have you been hiding her voice , its fantastic !!! 

I really hope we'll hear more of her , incredible .

I realise its less stress if she knows a tune rather than having to learn one a couple of weeks from scratch , but this is awesome !

On 16/12/2021 at 15:33, MoonBassAlpha said:

Our cover (Charms Against the Evil Eye) of the Jazz Butcher song Southern Mark Smith, recorded live with acoustic guitar overdubs only, 2nd take.
Leader Pat Fish was a good friend and mentor to our singer. He sadly passed in November this year (2021) and will be greatly missed by many.

Your singer sounds very much like David Byrne (Talking Heads).  😎