Why become a member? ×

December Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Its all about Covers 

image.png.32c8ca4ac4c40d1bc9606e7e4222767f.png         No not drain covers

image.png.a69b84920c1905c93532065d99bc2c62.png  No not motor bike covers 

image.png.04edf2114b6dad1d53c17b2acb4fee94.png  Not even duvet covers 

Yes, its song/tune covers just like last December , I knew this was coming all year (as I suspect many others did ) but I still don't know what to do just yet :D

If I recall correctly this can be a piece of work that you have done during This year , so  the entry is open a little further afield I guess.

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded this year.

X No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

X Bagpipes. please no bagpipes, the Thanksgiving truce now Expired. panpipes only if you have too.

X No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you.

A line or two offering an insight to your inspiration/track choice will be good as well , it works nicely on the voting thread.

Deadline wise , we will go for  midnight on  'Christmas Day '  👍, though you probably have till my head is together on the 26th, ( the clue given here is that 'Christmas day' is the 25th :i-m_so_happy:).

I might extend the voting a day or so depending on the entry count , but we can still start January on the dot 

Go get inspired, play it straight or mangle something up but mostly have some fun

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My contribution to the Basschat December Cover Challenge.

Knocked together this very afternoon, thanks to Jon Shuker, Vintage Guitars, Line 6, Steinberg and Red Wine.

I've been listening to a lot of blues lately, as I find it's good for my bass playing, so while I'm not usually one for covers I thought I'd go for a classic.... Killing Floor, by Chester Burnett (aka Howlin' Wolf). Rough in places, sure, but it's the blues maaaaan!😎

• Like 4

On 03/12/2021 at 08:12, Nicko said:

Mine is already started and it's coming along nicely.  It will be a lockdown appropriate post punk piece with a classic bassline.  

Got me intrigued….. looking forward to it and will be trying to guess what it is based on the clues given.

Edited by Nail Soup

Here is my contribution to the December 2021 Basschat Composition Challenge, illustrated with a picture chosen by the Master of Ceremonies: Lurksalot.
Not a lot to say about this one; it's all in the song. A long-time favourite, it's become sadly more apt and poignant as Life deals out its cards. They're not all aces.
I had intended playing the instruments myself, but decided after many attempts that it would not be fair to inflict that upon you all, so I fell back on a choice of Vst's (somewhat limited due to the loss of a 3Tb USB disk...). For the vocal, I couldn't (and still can't...) find my Superlux mic, so had to buy another (Marantz MPM 1000...) which has proved to be very satisfactory. My voice, however, has not. As I said, it's not all aces.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy, and Merry Christmas to one and all.

• Like 4

I'm not sure whether this one is eligible or not...here's the story. One of the music production channels on Youtube that I subscribe to is that of Rachel K. Collier. Late last year she posted a video about her favourite plug-ins under $100, in which she gave a link to a  vocal stem from her track "No Deeper Escape", and permission for her viewers to sample this stem and make whatever use of it they wished. Never having tried my hand at this sort of thing before, I decided I'd have a go. I ended up using large sections of the vocal lines more or less intact, albeit at a different tempo, and messed with in other ways, but the structure and underlying chord sequence is quite different from the original (in fact I deliberately didn't listen to the original until I was fairly well advanced with my track). So, maybe not really a "cover" as such, and if the Powers That Be decide that it is not suitable for the comp, I certainly won't argue. It was, though, all recorded this year.

The original can be heard on spotify here:   open.spotify.com/track/7aoKxAksi7RZUvFAi7mGrO

Here is my track D-Per Escapade:

The nyckelharpa and guitars are real. All the other drum and instrument sounds came from a Digitakt and a Microkorg, except the very first sound heard, which I found in my Kawai stage piano. The video was made in Reaper.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Earbrass said:

I'm not sure whether this one is eligible or not...here's the story. One of the music production channels on Youtube that I subscribe to is that of Rachel K. Collier. Late last year she posted a video about her favourite plug-ins under $100, in which she gave a link to a  vocal stem from her track "No Deeper Escape", and permission for her viewers to sample this stem and make whatever use of it they wished. Never having tried my hand at this sort of thing before, I decided I'd have a go. I ended up using large sections of the vocal lines more or less intact, albeit at a different tempo, and messed with in other ways, but the structure and underlying chord sequence is quite different from the original (in fact I deliberately didn't listen to the original until I was fairly well advanced with my track). So, maybe not really a "cover" as such, and if the Powers That Be decide that it is not suitable for the comp, I certainly won't argue. It was, though, all recorded this year.

The original can be heard on spotify here:   open.spotify.com/track/7aoKxAksi7RZUvFAi7mGrO

Here is my track D-Per Escapade:

The nyckelharpa and guitars are real. All the other drum and instrument sounds came from a Digitakt and a Microkorg, except the very first sound heard, which I found in my Kawai stage piano. The video was made in Reaper.

Yeah, not sure if it qualifies but I’m defiantly  interested to hear the nyckrlharpa so will take a listen in either case. However I never listen until all entries are in!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicko said:

I'm not complaining but question whether this is an original that simply uses a vocal sample.  It's pretty well done though.

Merry Christmas, season of generosity and goodwill towards all men (and women, naturally...). :santa2:

OK, Here is my contribution.  Its a straight cover of Longview by Green Day.  It is most definitely not the radio edit so not safe for work without headphones.  It's a song about boredom so seemed suitable in these troubled times, even if it sounds like a bad pub cover.

Recorded in Cubase.  Initially I used a US Fender Precision but re-recorded using a Squier 70s CV PB which had newer strings and sounded closer to the original. Amp simulation is a Bassman 300 from Amplitube.  Guitar is a Patrick Eggle New York again through Amplitube using a Mesa Triple Rectifier simulation.  There are no stompboxes at all, but some rack EQ and reverb was added to the guitar. I'm not particularly happy with the guitar sound  - the only bit that sound right is the outro.  Drums are MT Power drums programmed from tab and I'm not sure it's 100% right but close enough.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I've made a start, but (1) my rhythm guitar is appalling from lack of practice and (2) I feel self-conscious trying to sing with my dad around making teh vocals sound weedy as anything... 😞

Can you give your dad a couple of quid and send him for a bag of sugar 😁

I've got one about ready.

It's going to be Southern Mark Smith by the Jazz Butcher, whose main man Pat Fish passed earlier this year. He was a good friend and mentor to our singer. 

We'll be doing it tonight at our first gig in nearly 2 years at Oxford Bullingdon tonight. Watch this space       .

• Like 3

Our cover (Charms Against the Evil Eye) of the Jazz Butcher song Southern Mark Smith, recorded live with acoustic guitar overdubs only, 2nd take.
Leader Pat Fish was a good friend and mentor to our singer. He sadly passed in November this year (2021) and will be greatly missed by many.

Edited by MoonBassAlpha
  • Like 3

Here's my thingy....blurby stuff under tune..

Entry into this months Basschat competition which, traditionally is covers only.
All voices,guitars,piano and harmonica are played (?) by meself.
It's a first for the 3 string cigar box , (still basic learning level) and harmonica (blow and suck level !).
Telecaster in standard tuning, squire in open G (ggdgbb),mustang in drop D, vocals in no tuning whatsoever.
All shuffled together in Reaper,
thank you and good night !

• Like 4

On 08/12/2021 at 03:14, Dad3353 said:

Here is my contribution to the December 2021 Basschat Composition Challenge, illustrated with a picture chosen by the Master of Ceremonies: Lurksalot.
Not a lot to say about this one; it's all in the song. A long-time favourite, it's become sadly more apt and poignant as Life deals out its cards. They're not all aces.
I had intended playing the instruments myself, but decided after many attempts that it would not be fair to inflict that upon you all, so I fell back on a choice of Vst's (somewhat limited due to the loss of a 3Tb USB disk...). For the vocal, I couldn't (and still can't...) find my Superlux mic, so had to buy another (Marantz MPM 1000...) which has proved to be very satisfactory. My voice, however, has not. As I said, it's not all aces.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy, and Merry Christmas to one and all.

Good work Douglas, I  found that incredibly moving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1