Why become a member? ×

Weird question. Is there any way to make a headless bass to neck dive?

BELA

I have got a headless 5 string bass that counter neck dives or bridge dives (if those expressions do exist).

When the bass is on a strap is very noticeable but when you play it while seated is much worse. I spend more time trying to return the neck to horizontal than  actually playing the thing.

I hate it. 

I do not want the neck to be horizontal to the ground, but more than 45 degrees to the sky... I think is too much.

Any way to weight the nut or do something about this?

I like the bass a lot but seldom play it because of this issue.

Help!!!

Edited by BELA

I had something like this issue with my ill- fated Status Streamline.

Does your headless 5 have 5 grub-screws for clamping non double ball- end strings? If so, do you use them?

If you don't use them, fashion a brass "weight" and use the grub screws to secure it in place. 

Failing that,  get a small G-clamp and attach it somewhere above the nut

Otherwise,  maybe a (bass)FatFinger could be made to work. Probably not heavy enough,  though.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I had something like this issue with my ill- fated Status Streamline.

Does your headless 5 have 5 grub-screws for clamping non double ball- end strings? If so, do you use them?

If you don't use them, fashion a brass "weight" and use the grub screws to secure it in place. 

Failing that,  get a small G-clamp and attach it somewhere above the nut

Otherwise,  maybe a (bass)FatFinger could be made to work. Probably not heavy enough,  though.

In addition to the headless, the bass is 32" so I have to use single ball strings. I will try the g clamp, thanks

If it has a long upper horn for the strap pin and is a bolt-on neck, you could always try moving the strap pin to one of the neck bolts and see how you go - should change the balance point considerably.

I'd imagine that a grippier strap should help though? I don't know what bass you have, but I'd imagine that any neck climb would be less severe than 'normal' neck dive and a grippy strap should 'cure' the problem.

• Thanks 1

I didn't have a balance problem, but I did have a problem with the bridge being about 5cm to the left compared with my other basses. I solved it with a boot lace.

Thread the bootlace through the bridge end of your strap, and tie the ends to the two strap pins,  with the bootlace on the back of the bass. Move the strap-end from the bridge-end pin towards the center of the bass and see if you can find a spot where it balances the way you want.  If it works for you, knot the lace into a loop to hold the strap-end at that point.

It's cheap, reversible when you sell the bass, and barely noticeable in use.

David

Edited by Mottlefeeder
  • Thanks 1

I've extensively played headless basses since the 80s- all until recently Steinbergers or built to that shape. Of course they balance brilliantly due to the strap pivot being mounted at or very near to the centre of gravity.

A recent ACG which I had built however very much suffered from this "bridge dive" problem, probably exacerbated by it being a six string fretless with a 32" scale.

The wonderful and ever helpful Mr Cringean solved the issue for me by installing a recessed straplock into the back of the upper horn further back from the tip. Bass now balances pefectly and sits in the position I like on the strap.

I use the strap when seated too as I have always done- it generally keeps things consistent whether playing seated or standing.

You can see the recessed straplock socket adjacent to the last top neck bolt in the photo.

IMG_2897.JPG

• Like 3

Fixed. At least for the moment. 

Not pretty at all but it does the job.

Capo at the headpiece with a fishing lead weight.

The bass is on my lap, no strap, and neck is parallel to the ground.

Thanks everybody for your input

IMG_20211210_165102.jpg

Edited by BELA
Ad photo