Why become a member? ×

Shergold Marathon - *SOLD*
£450
LONDON

Clarky

I bought this mojo'd beauty a month or two back from BCer itsmedunc but, despite my nostalgia, I am not gelling with the bass. Its the second time I have owned a Marathon and - in spite of Shergold's cool Factory records and 70s Genesis links - its just not as comfy as my Jazz basses. So, go it must and I will resist the temptation next time a Marathon appears for sale!

Its pretty crazed, like most 70s Shergolds -best seen in dunc's pics in link below. One other thing to mention is that the bass sounds great (very P like) with selector switch to left hand side (as you look down playing) but, when switched to the right, only the E and A strings sound. Not sure if this is a minor electrical fix or a function of it being stereo (the truss rod cover says so, but dunc didn't think it was stereo, so I am unsure). Will knock £50 off what I paid in case its a quick trip to your local bass tech. Sounds great if used with selector to left, so didn't bother me (or dunc).

£450 plus post. Or collect SW13, south of Hammersmith Bridge. Will come in beat up Fusion gig bag or old school hard case, depending on whether post needed. Sorry NO TRADES, I have plenty of basses!

Dunc's FS ad with good pics 

20211201_183714.jpg

20211201_183825.jpg

20211201_183747.jpg

20211201_183742.jpg

20211201_183729.jpg

20211201_183718.jpg

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 6

Sorry to hear that you're not getting on with it Clarky. If it had gone up for sale last week, I'd have bought it back. I rather miss it. It's a great bass too. Stupid me bought a dog instead though!

Who knows what tomorrow may bring (hopefully enough for a Shergold 😁). GLWTS

• Like 1

• Clarky changed the title to Shergold Marathon, mojo'd oly white, £450 + post

The switch should switch between stereo and mono, and if it is the first one (which it looked like) it should just have a stereo output socket, so if you have a mono plug in, switching to stereo will cut out of half of the signal. Which sounds like you are describing.

So you need a stereo to dual mono cable.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

The switch should switch between stereo and mono, and if it is the first one (which it looked like) it should just have a stereo output socket, so if you have a mono plug in, switching to stereo will cut out of half of the signal. Which sounds like you are describing.

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my stereo-wired basses.

https://www.oldbloodnoise.com/pedals/split-meld

432940-1613741606302.png?w=768&h=768&fit

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Thanks it does indeed only have one cable output socket. So a stereo to mono cable would quickly solve the issue and presumably for a lot less than the £50 I allowed for! Thank you for the carification

1 hour ago, prowla said:

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my stereo-wired basses.

https://www.oldbloodnoise.com/pedals/split-meld

Certainly one option. I have a few stereo to dual mono cables. one is a stereo to XLR and an XLR to two XLR, and one is a stereo to dual stereo that I got with the chapman stick, and the other stereo to dual mono I got for connecting the iPad to the PA, 5M for £12 (I already had an 1/8" stereo plug to 1/4" stereo socket lead).

• Like 1

Clarky, do you have the means to weigh this reasonably accurately, please?  Asking on behalf of a good friend.

The original listing you link to says sub 8.5lbs but I am my friend is curious by how much.

• Clarky changed the title to *WITHDRAWN* Shergold Marathon, mojo'd oly white

Withdrawing this as - on reflection and further playing time - I think it will be a useful backup to my Jazz bass ... especially having gone through a disappointing experience with a brand new R*ck (see other threads). This feels and sounds close enough to a slimmer-necked P bass to keep me happy.

Apologies for those who were interested

Edited by Clarky

• Clarky changed the title to *WITHDRAWN* Shergold Marathon
  • Rich changed the title to Shergold Marathon
  • Silvia Bluejay locked this topic
  • Rich unlocked this topic

Back up due to herd thinning!

Now even better value at £450 as the bass is wearing almost brand new TI flats (were on my R*ck for a week and then off again).

Don't have a box at present so pickup/meet near SW13 (south of Hammersmith Bridge, in Barnes area) preferred. Or I will have to contrive some packaging in the coming week if post needed

• 3 weeks later...
  • Clarky changed the title to Shergold Marathon * SOLD*