Why become a member? ×

Tracks not in your set list you think should be.

TheGreek

Inna Gadda Da Vidda:

I didn't know the track so went to YT where I found this:

John Bolin

3 months ago

I'm 65 years old. Heard this on the radio in 1968, blew me away. Inspired me to learn guitar. The lead guitar player, Erik Brann is playing a Mosrite Ventures guitar. At the time, you could order a Mosrite guitar off the back of a Ventures album. My parents refused. Instead, they took me down to the local music store ....I came home with Gibson SG and a sworn promise to them and myself that I would never give it up. I learned this song in 1968 when I was 12 years old. Wasn't very good.....but I got better......... and still play it ( on the SG ) to this very day....

• Like 2

I've been trying for ages to get Dancing Queen into the Destroyers party set. There's a brilliant horn section part hiding in there somewhere just waiting for our MD to devise it and write it out :) and it'd be a 100% cast iron guaranteed floor-filler. And as a bonus, that gorgeous bassline.

Edited by Rich

Why do I feel like the luckiest guy in the world when I say that in our covers band everyone has a veto on songs but rarely uses it?  We're up for most things and as long as we can all play it (or it doesn't sound too weedy in a single guitar setup) we usually do.  We play songs we don't like for the good of the gig.  I've got most of the suggestions I've put in on the books - I tend towards the 90s, indie side of things (think Song 2, Just a Day) and right now I'm just waiting on Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out" to be added to the repertoire, that's been parked while we lay on the Christmas cheese songs that we play a couple of times a year then forget - The Darkness, Slade, Shaky, you know the ones I mean ;)

Also I would say that our set list is primarily driven by the audiences, rather than a couple of mad band dictators - what works, what gets folk dancing.  Different venues have different crowds - some lean towards the more classic rock, some you need to have a mix of more modern songs and the older stuff has to be so well known (think Don't Stop Believin', Livin' on a Prayer, Summer of '69 etc.).  A rocked up Waterloo seems to go down well wherever we play.  Songs get ditched because they're not doing well at gigs, not because one of us doesn't like them.  I dislike Don't Stop Believin' with a passion, but it's a sure fire winner at gigs so at the gig I just get on with it.  At least we play it that often that it rarely gets played at rehearsal these days ;)

I don't think this thread was meant for me and my relatively idyllic band situation, sorry.

TL:DR - Franz Ferdinand, "Take Me Out".

Tragedy!  Or pretty much any funky Bee Gees song.  Cheesy as hell, but absolute bangers.

Oh, and...

"December 63" - Frankie Vallie

"My Girl" - Temptations

"Parklife" - Blur

"Common People" - mash up of Pulp's original and William Shatners epic cover.

Edited by Greg Edwards69

1 minute ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Tragedy!  Or pretty much any funky Bee Gees song.  Cheesy as hell, but absolute bangers.

Oh, and "Oh what a night" - Frankie Vallie, and "My Girl" - Temptations.

I'm guessing you have either a female vocalist or someone with a really good falsetto?

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Songs get ditched because they're not doing well at gigs, not because one of us doesn't like them.

I've been in bands where I have veto'd on the basis that I just can't stand the song and therefore when playing it I rarely play it well or because it's musically inappropriate for the set list. (Notable examples Purple Rain - dull, All Right Now - in an Indie set?????). Take Me Out never got boring to play even though it's not a challenge.

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

A rocked up Waterloo seems to go down well wherever we play. 

LIkewise. Rocked up versions of disco era songs seem to work well for us too. Mama Mia, September, Le Freak, Disco Inferno, Love Train etc.  All guitar driven covers that guarantee people on the dancefloor.  It's picking the right ones that is the challenge.  I can remember clearing the dancefloor with Boogie Oogie Oogie, Let's Groove and Everybody Dance.

• Like 1