Why become a member? ×

This will be of interest to some BCers, mebbe a minority, and not remotely so for many others!

Barking Spiders

So, it all went wrong in the 90's when throwing basses in the stairs was supposed to be slap... 🤦🏻‍♂️

And where is Alain Caron, one of the slap masters ?

That said Level 42 was not a pop group at all at the start. 😉

I can enjoy it being done well. But a long time ago I had student who slapped over everything. We were doing a PA lesson and he came on to soundcheck. He gave it the max thumb and the student engineer just deadpanned him, grabbed the talkback mic and said "play me something I can hear". We just fell about laughing. 

• Like 1

‘Not remotely’ for the kingbass fanboys who will no doubt be quietly scheming on their private whatsapp group how to arrang a small accident at your next bassbash attendance 🤪 be wary of anyone with bits of black insulating tape wrapped around their thumb 😎👍🏼
hope this helps

On 01/12/2021 at 17:29, skankdelvar said:

My favourite description seen here on BC was 'The sound of a crowd of angry squirrels hurling nuts at a tin roof'.

Whoever came up with that deserves a medal or something.

The squirrels in my garden seem quite intelligent so it seems perfectly reasonably they would choose this option over actually slapping a real bass

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

Does this mean slap is history?

The only person ever to get slap right was Billy Gould. 

Every YouTube slapper sounds like a filing cabinet kicked down a mountain. No timing, no rhythm and no tune.

I'm taking it you don't listen to 70s funk, jazz-funk or 80s pop? Outside those genres it doesn't really work I admit. I've heard it used quite a lot in rock/metal, particularly nu-metal and it's always been inappropriate. But then again nu-metal was/is utter gash so slap or no slap the music was always gonna be utter bilgewater.

• Like 1

As I wrote, it all went wrong in the 90's and don't talk about social medias, shows and store since the 90's.

I was so fed up by this really bad slap everywhere that I stopped going to the shows in the late 90's and just couldn't keep my mouth shut in the stores.

I hate slap because of all these abuses, but when it serves the song, it can become really interesting, but it's so rare.

Only a few players have the ability to turn slap into music and we all know their names.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm taking it you don't listen to 70s funk, jazz-funk or 80s pop? Outside those genres it doesn't really work I admit. I've heard it used quite a lot in rock/metal, particularly nu-metal and it's always been inappropriate. But then again nu-metal was/is utter gash so slap or no slap the music was always gonna be utter bilgewater.

To be honest, I don't like slap in funk or pop either, especially when it's slaps and pops. I can appreciate funk a lot more wen its just a really nice groove played finger style. 

• Like 1