Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Alpha Omega Photon

Kev

53 minutes ago, ern500evo said:

Has anyone been tempted enough to actually pull the trigger yet? 

If I still used pedals I may well have, I built my last board around the Adam, and an Adam with AO tones sounds superb.  For many it could be the only device they need for live use, studio use and home practice, particularly if you go ampless.

8 minutes ago, Kev said:

If I still used pedals I may well have, I built my last board around the Adam, and an Adam with AO tones sounds superb.  For many it could be the only device they need for live use, studio use and home practice, particularly if you go ampless.

It certainly looks super versatile. It’s way overkill for what I’d need, but I do love the options it gives. I was leaning towards a B7K ultra in the new year, but for not a massive amount more, this seems like such a good option. 

1 hour ago, ern500evo said:

It certainly looks super versatile. It’s way overkill for what I’d need, but I do love the options it gives. I was leaning towards a B7K ultra in the new year, but for not a massive amount more, this seems like such a good option. 

I would say that the B7K and AO drive circuits are quite different.  All Darkglass of course, but generally the AO is thicker and fuzzier than the B7K.  Less metallic clank.  

1 hour ago, Kev said:

I would say that the B7K and AO drive circuits are quite different.  All Darkglass of course, but generally the AO is thicker and fuzzier than the B7K.  Less metallic clank.  

The more video reviews and demos I watch of the AO, the more I like it. Definitely seem to prefer it more biased to the alpha side though 

7 hours ago, ern500evo said:

The more video reviews and demos I watch of the AO, the more I like it. Definitely seem to prefer it more biased to the alpha side though 

I had the original AO pedal and I definitely preferred the Alpha side - it was more defined whereas the Omega was kind of uncontrolled.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ern500evo said:

Has anyone been tempted enough to actually pull the trigger yet? 

No. I'd like one (I miss my original AO) but at the moment I play live in a Big Band only and for home playing and recording / writing I do everything with Helix or a selection of plugins. 

I only have 1 bass specific preamp pedal these days - the Tech21 Steve Harris model. That is the most versatile preamp pedal I've ever known and will do McCartney through to Lemmy.

I suspect if I got the Photon it would be great fun at home for a while, then I'd start not bothering to plug it in and just going direct into my PC again... and then I'd look at it and think "there's £400 I'm not using, what else could I have if I sold it..."

and that would be it.

I'd love it if Neural did an AO plugin though. The Parallax gets very close but it's not quite the same.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fretmeister said:

No. I'd like one (I miss my original AO) but at the moment I play live in a Big Band only and for home playing and recording / writing I do everything with Helix or a selection of plugins. 

I only have 1 bass specific preamp pedal these days - the Tech21 Steve Harris model. That is the most versatile preamp pedal I've ever known and will do McCartney through to Lemmy.

I suspect if I got the Photon it would be great fun at home for a while, then I'd start not bothering to plug it in and just going direct into my PC again... and then I'd look at it and think "there's £400 I'm not using, what else could I have if I sold it..."

and that would be it.

I'd love it if Neural did an AO plugin though. The Parallax gets very close but it's not quite the same.

I think an AO ultra would be more than adequate for my needs. I use backline more than in house PA, so I’ve always got my EBS TD650 and Barefaced Big Twin 2 behind me. There just doesn’t seem to be a huge difference in price for what appears to be a lot more pedal. Would be nice to set up three presets for various levels of drive/tone. I only use flat out distortion on a few songs, the rest is more of a subtle drive. I found a sound clip of the AO ultra with a hump in the mids, the drive only on about 10 o clock, blend about midday, and the mod all the way to the alpha side, and it just sounded so good! 

• Like 1

On 01/12/2021 at 16:00, Supernaut said:

Very much so. 

It's either that or the old stand by - a P with SS strings through a cranked SVT. 

Well, unlike Dungwall/Fartgas, a P with SS through a tube amp actually sounds classic and great, rather than like a sterile lifeless wet fart of a cliché that induces puke reflexes.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well unlike Dungwall/Fartgas, a P with SS through a tube amp actually sounds classic and great, rather than like a sterile lifeless wet fart of a cliché that induces puke reflexes.

Nice of you to drop in. I take it your Photon is on its way to you then?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well unlike Dungwall/Fartgas, a P with SS through a tube amp actually sounds classic and great, rather than like a sterile lifeless wet fart of a cliché that induces puke reflexes.

I’d love to hear some of your tones!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well, unlike Dungwall/Fartgas, a P with SS through a tube amp actually sounds classic and great, rather than like a sterile lifeless wet fart of a cliché that induces puke reflexes.

I’m getting the inpression that you’re not fond of Darkglass products. I might be wrong though, it wouldn’t be the first time. Just a hunch 

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2021 at 04:34, Baloney Balderdash said:

Siri, tell the world I like pineapple on pizza without saying I'm a deviant with questionable taste.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think that this kind of makes the point I said a few years ago. If you could get an AO with saveable midi presets, wouldn't that be worth £500? Now, I actually like the AO, but I don't really use mine as it's mainly for clients at my studio.

Frankly, if this was something that I'd use, I'd be getting one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...