Why become a member? ×

Why you should never defret a wenge neck Warwick

"It is a standard German Warwick with the exception of it having had its frets removed at some time in the past and the gaps filled. It looks like a fairly professional job from what I can tell."... I'd suggest he looks again! :)

Wenge is a swine to defret as it chips and splinters soooo easily.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Corvette-FNA-Jazzman-blonde-fretless-not-a-jazz_W0QQitemZ270367877858QQihZ017QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Corvette-FNA...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

It looks like it's been slashed by a tiger.

With blunt claws.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='454854' date='Apr 5 2009, 07:40 PM']"It is a standard German Warwick with the exception of it having had its frets removed at some time in the past and the gaps filled. It looks like a fairly professional job from what I can tell."... I'd suggest he looks again! :)

Wenge is a swine to defret as it chips and splinters soooo easily.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Corvette-FNA-Jazzman-blonde-fretless-not-a-jazz_W0QQitemZ270367877858QQihZ017QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Corvette-FNA...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url][/quote]

Bad move with such an open grain wood,glad i managed to sell my warwick nice to look at but i could not get on with them just like my vw beetle.Lucky jaco didnt play one or he might have been as good as stuart zender on the first couple of jk albums.

Edited by YouMa

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='457399' date='Apr 8 2009, 02:12 PM']Only time will tell... :rolleyes:

Hidden bidder ID is always a bit suspect...[/quote]

MB1. :)
Cant figure that Hidden bidders ID thing at all, i dont bid on anything that has those bids on it now!.....Very Suspect!

[quote name='MB1' post='457410' date='Apr 8 2009, 02:21 PM']MB1. :)
Cant figure that Hidden bidders ID thing at all, i dont bid on anything that has those bids on it now!.....Very Suspect![/quote]

That is a tricky one actually!

I used to ebay regularly (2000+ 100% rating, though rarely bass related) and I never made sales/bidding private/hidden. However, I did get wind that other sellers were contacting people who bid on my items (I had some regular buyers who made me aware of what was going on) and were offering to sell them similar or identical items, thereby losing me potential higher final value sales or meaning things just didn't sell as people were poached away. Eventually I realised how easy it was to do that; sellers didn't even have to list items, they simply trawled eBay for people selling similar items and made offers to the bidders. So I can appreciate that 'sometimes' it is a good tool for sellers not wishing to have bidders/buyers lured away.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='457470' date='Apr 8 2009, 03:17 PM']That is a tricky one actually!

I used to ebay regularly (2000+ 100% rating, though rarely bass related) and I never made sales/bidding private/hidden. However, I did get wind that other sellers were contacting people who bid on my items (I had some regular buyers who made me aware of what was going on) and were offering to sell them similar or identical items, thereby losing me potential higher final value sales or meaning things just didn't sell as people were poached away. Eventually I realised how easy it was to do that; sellers didn't even have to list items, they simply trawled eBay for people selling similar items and made offers to the bidders. So I can appreciate that 'sometimes' it is a good tool for sellers not wishing to have bidders/buyers lured away.[/quote]

Ah, I was completely unaware of that kind of thing. I guess that would be more useful when regularly selling new items in larger quantities, whereas I can’t see the point of it for one off second hand items – I can’t see there being more than 1 or 2 badly defretted Corvette FNA basses in the world...you’ve got to hope anyway :)

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='457525' date='Apr 8 2009, 03:58 PM']Ah, I was completely unaware of that kind of thing. I guess that would be more useful when regularly selling new items in larger quantities, whereas I can’t see the point of it for one off second hand items – I can’t see there being more than 1 or 2 badly defretted Corvette FNA basses in the world...you’ve got to hope anyway :)[/quote]

The problem isn't restricted to high volume, new items. If you have a Fender MIM/MIJ/MIA P bass and you stick it on eBay then anyone considering selling a similar item simply needs to search for said same item and by simply sending a few emails you could well bag a buyer and scr*w the sale up for the poor guy who had to pay for the listing. With reference to this particular item; if you imagine you had a similar bass that 'hadn't' been butchered you could simply PM ANY of the bidders, point out how shabby the defret was and offer your bass as an alternative... if you were a bidder and someone offered you a better bass what would you do? :rolleyes:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='457605' date='Apr 8 2009, 04:58 PM']The problem isn't restricted to high volume, new items. If you have a Fender MIM/MIJ/MIA P bass and you stick it on eBay then anyone considering selling a similar item simply needs to search for said same item and by simply sending a few emails you could well bag a buyer and scr*w the sale up for the poor guy who had to pay for the listing. With reference to this particular item; if you imagine you had a similar bass that 'hadn't' been butchered you could simply PM ANY of the bidders, point out how shabby the defret was and offer your bass as an alternative... if you were a bidder and someone offered you a better bass what would you do? :)[/quote]

Good point. I guess this is another reason to avoid eBay then.