Why become a member? ×

(SOLVED) Pedal Power Supply just blew a fuse - Was the right fuse even in there to begin with?!

AinsleyWalker

I'm using a Palmer PWT 12 to power my board (https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Palmer-PWT-12-Pedalboard-Power-Supply/2H1U?origin=product-ads&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtJeNBhCVARIsANJUJ2EaUvoVsWY9YcCD5E6RH0i0j_skk8t8b8088_sy1x75KBzUGreIyxsaAk9yEALw_wcB)
Never had any issues with it until today.
I just plugged it into the usual extension cable I use to practise and it sparked, knocking off all the electrics in the flat, bar cooker power and lights (none of my pedals were connected to the power brick at the time). 
I've got all the plugs etc back on, but my power supply adapter isn't working. 
Mine has a European plug and has a UK plug adapter (provided by supplier at time of purchase)
EDIT: I have just checked my emails, and I ordered from Gear4Music at the end of 2019, so I have no idea why it has a European plug.

The UK plug adapter has a fuse inside, so I planned to replace that and try hooking it up again. However when comparing the info on the fuse to the info on the UK plug adapter, there are differences

The fuse itself says:
13A, 250V, BS1362

The UK plug adapter says:
FIT 3A (5A) FUSE
BS 5733

250V

2.5A (5A)

I know very little about this kind of thing so I am hoping someone might be able to help me with the following:
A) Was the wrong fuse in there?
B) What kind of fuse I need to go and get now?

Thanks!

EDIT: 
Replacing the old fuse with a new 3A fuse has solved the problem, thanks!

Edited by AinsleyWalker

Yes. It should ideally be a 3A fuse for such a low-power unit, or a 5A if none available.

I very much doubt a 13A fuse has blown without damage to the unit.

When you say it 'sparked' where did this happen? To set off the main board you must have had a short. In my experience, a short inside a cheap extension cable than either a power brick or the decent quality adaptors Thomann supply.

14 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Yes. It should ideally be a 3A fuse for such a low-power unit, or a 5A if none available.

I very much doubt a 13A fuse has blown without damage to the unit.

When you say it 'sparked' where did this happen? To set off the main board you must have had a short. In my experience, a short inside a cheap extension cable than either a power brick or the decent quality adaptors Thomann supply.

Thanks for the reply. 
So do you think the entire power adapter is finished? It wasn't plugged into the brick at the time, so that would not have been affected.

It sparked when I plugged it into a cheap extension cable. I've since binned that extension cable. 

I've since tried my adapter from a different extension cable but it is not powering the brick.

Edited by AinsleyWalker

42 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Thanks for the reply. 
So do you think the entire power adapter is finished? It wasn't plugged into the brick at the time, so that would not have been affected.

It sparked when I plugged it into a cheap extension cable. I've since binned that extension cable. 

I've since tried my adapter from a different extension cable but it is not powering the brick.

Sorry so the 'brick' is the power unit which wasn't attached to  the 'adaptor' which is the EU to UK bit and which set off the main trip when plugged in?

That's odd as it should be impossible for it to short out like that.

Do you have a multimeter to check if the fuse has blown in it and that the pins are isolated from each other??

42 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

I've just checked my emails and it turns out I ordered this from Gear4Music, so I have no idea why it doesn't have a UK plug...

Shame, the Thomann ones even have a shutter to make sure you can't open up the adaptor when plugged in. And a 3A fuse!

@Stub Mandrel Problem solved, just needed a new fuse as expected. I put a 3A fuse in the UK plug adapter and all is working as expected. 

But to answer your questions, 
The EU AC adapter was plugged into the UK plug adapter, I then plugged that into an extension cable which caused the sparks and all my electrics to go off. 
My brick was not connected to the AC adapter when this happened (which was just an oversight, I would normally connect that first).

And yes I agree the Thomann adapters are great, I ordered an Eden combo from them a while ago which came with the type of adapter that you're describing. 

• AinsleyWalker changed the title to (SOLVED) Pedal Power Supply just blew a fuse - Was the right fuse even in there to begin with?!

A new 18v 2000mA centre negative power supply with (I guess the standard Boss size) 2.1mm dc jack doesn’t look to be an easy thing to find, according to a quick scan of eBay… otherwise I’d suggest buying a new PSU that’s UK specific. Hey: they’re all made in China anyway including the stock adaptors!

This https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18V-2000mA-AC-DC-Adaptor-Power-Supply-Charger-5-5mm-x-2-1mm-For-DC18V-0-5A-0-8A-/174766222090?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0 *might* do the trick but the listing doesn’t state polarity.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

A new 18v 2000mA centre negative power supply with (I guess the standard Boss size) 2.1mm dc jack doesn’t look to be an easy thing to find, according to a quick scan of eBay… otherwise I’d suggest buying a new PSU that’s UK specific. Hey: they’re all made in China anyway including the stock adaptors!

This https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18V-2000mA-AC-DC-Adaptor-Power-Supply-Charger-5-5mm-x-2-1mm-For-DC18V-0-5A-0-8A-/174766222090?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0 *might* do the trick but the listing doesn’t state polarity.

If the polarity is opposite to that required then simply cut off the connector and git a new one as required.

Most supplies are centre positive. Guitar fx are the general exception.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AinsleyWalker said:

@Stub Mandrel Problem solved, just needed a new fuse as expected. I put a 3A fuse in the UK plug adapter and all is working as expected. 

But to answer your questions, 
The EU AC adapter was plugged into the UK plug adapter, I then plugged that into an extension cable which caused the sparks and all my electrics to go off. 
My brick was not connected to the AC adapter when this happened (which was just an oversight, I would normally connect that first).

And yes I agree the Thomann adapters are great, I ordered an Eden combo from them a while ago which came with the type of adapter that you're describing. 

Ah... the brick is the bit that does the power conversion. That is... worrying. Somehow, the AC adaptor or plug adaptor blew a 13A fuse. That is ungood.

2 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

Thanks for the tips. It's working for now, with a new fuse in. But I will aim to replace it when I'm able to. 

42 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Ah... the brick is the bit that does the power conversion. That is... worrying. Somehow, the AC adaptor or plug adaptor blew a 13A fuse. That is ungood.

Not good at all... 

13 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Somehow, the AC adaptor or plug adaptor blew a 13A fuse. That is ungood.

Yes - it does sound odd if it is now working with the fuse replaces.

Might it be that the output (that was not plugged into the brick) was inadvertently shorted ???

Sounds unlikely with that connector type but otoh something happened !

19 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

Power supply for the Dunlop brick is 18VDC centre negative, 3A, part number is ECB004UK . I got one from www.fxpedal.co.uk .