Why become a member? ×

NGD: Mayones Cali 4

Devers95

35 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I was looking at one of these on the Bass Direct website yesterday. Very desirable but unfortunately not "impulse buy money". 

Maybe I should contact Santa....

Yeah they're super niche. I first started chasing one in november last year. I think for most people theyre a bit of a toy but I work on ships with very little storage space so its perfect. Ive been doing fine with a Kala U bass but having this with a headphone output is going to be even better. 

• Like 2

On 01/12/2021 at 17:10, Devers95 said:

Yeah they're super niche. I first started chasing one in november last year. I think for most people theyre a bit of a toy but I work on ships with very little storage space so its perfect. Ive been doing fine with a Kala U bass but having this with a headphone output is going to be even better. 

IT LOOKS AMAZING. I'd do anything for a decent reason to buy one though, ironically, if I had one I don't think I'd out it down!

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Does it have an octaver built in? 

I appreciate the quality and craftmanship of this but not sure the who octave up thing would be that useful for me. Still look like great fun though! 

It doesnt, its the first thing I'm gonna do though. Im gonna try a few octave pedals to see which suits it best. Im thinking of ordering one of those Octabass octave pedals then I'm going to try taking it to my local jam night to see how it gets on! It is brilliant fun. 

22 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

It's a Bonsai Bass!

Love it - and nice sounding too - should be a superior noodling experience to the U-Bass with the daft strings.

Its fantastic to play. I have a Kala U bass too which I love but theyre both completely different beasts. The strings were definitely an issue for me, though they do give a unique double-bass like tone which is fun. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Devers95 said:

Im thinking of ordering one of those Octabass octave pedals then I'm going to try taking it to my local jam night to see how it gets on! It is brilliant fun. 

If you mean the Octabass by EBS, it's really nice but also very, very clean and polite. I have one of the old, Swedish-made, Black Label ones and although I like it, I wish it sounded just slightly dirtier to make it jump out more. The newer Blue Label pedals have an added tone knob, that might just do the trick but I haven't been able to try one yet.

The first one I'd look at would be the EHX POG! It's what Wingbass offers built-in too. 

21 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

If you mean the Octabass by EBS, it's really nice but also very, very clean and polite. I have one of the old, Swedish-made, Black Label ones and although I like it, I wish it sounded just slightly dirtier to make it jump out more. The newer Blue Label pedals have an added tone knob, that might just do the trick but I haven't been able to try one yet.

The first one I'd look at would be the EHX POG! It's what Wingbass offers built-in too. 

Oh yeah? Ill have a look at that. Wondering if the micro pog would be good enough or the pog 2. Ill see if I can try em both out. Thanks for that! Sounds promising. 

• 1 month later...

Takes regular strings, not sure what gauge but it can be found online. I think Mayones may have started selling their own specific strings for it too. 

Bought an octave pedal to go with the Cali 4 now and its brilliant, I'm going to start using it at jam nights every now and then. May even gig with it one day. 

• 1 year later...

I got mine about 3 weeks ago from Mayones directly (great service, by the way) and I can't put it down! It's a great instrument in its own right, perfect for taking on vacation or pretty much anywhere, and it's still a bass. That means you can practice your regular stuff with it and learn new stuff and then pick up your regular bass when it's time. It's very exciting and sounds and plays great. 

@Devers95 or anyone else: Which octave pedal did you settle on, and are you satisfied with it? 

There's a video of Sting playing one on the BBC with Shaggy, and there are no other basses on stage, so he's doing something to get the low sound just right. I wanna know what it is!!! (Sting & Shaggy - Don't Make Me Wait Live on The One Show. BBC. 29 Mar 2018 -  https://youtu.be/4Z_gtd5-1Ek)

Mine, on a walk by the water:

20230712_205724.jpg

Edited by Mojo34
updated with more information
  • Like 2

Hiya mate,

I used the Aguilar Octamizer and got a great sound but ended up trading it back into Bass Direct as I had/have no use for it. I had it on order for months when I was in a job that required a lot of travel and time at sea then within weeks of recieving it changed my job role and so never used it! Crackin' bit of kit though. 

• Like 1