Why become a member? ×

NBD - Birthday build

pbasspecial

So it was my big boy 50th birthday this year and thought I would put together a decent bass as I couldn’t afford a 1980 walnut precision special (£3000) and didn’t feel confident enough skill wise that a self build course would give me the quality instrument I wanted. So I decided to put together a tribute, rather than a copy of said bass. 
I asked Walshy to build me a custom body (which in the end never happened), so in the end I bought one he had made previously from Chris/beedster. 
The neck is a roasted maple jazz neck with chrome hipshot tuners. The pickup is a fender custom shop 62 precision pick up going through a Kiogon cloth wired cts, top of the range loom. Currently has a fender bbot bridge but I have got a hipshot A style bridge to go on it a later date (possibly, but I quite like the look of this one). These parts were all bought from people off of BC. 
Needs a pro set up but even now sounds great to me. Think she might be a keeper. 
Thanks Basschat!C5716F4E-7314-4BC2-9531-29F05590C13B.thumb.jpeg.bd6d14b117a6635b6301e6703f8ea25b.jpeg

0A5260AB-A8F3-458F-9354-E3CA9DBD4AA1.jpeg

221F63C7-EC03-470C-93BF-1037140EBA9A.jpeg

• Like 29

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

luverly... the Walnut 'n Roasted Mapel go realy nice together... Jazz Neck 'n NO TORT... luverly

Nice grown up sensible looking bass befitting a grown up and sensible looking 50 yo... but as we know looks can be deceptive!

Lol. I believe the old joke applies here. 

Kid: “Mummy, when I grow up I want to be a musician”

Mum: “You can only choose one darling!”

• Haha 2